Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Are 65-70 front hub center dimensions the same?

2. What are the dimensions of each of the 65-70 front hub center dimensions?

Still piecing together my big disc brake for the go fast build in my signature. The rotors I bought are Raybestos #6008R. The center of the rotors are 3.250". That is bigger than my hub centers (bought aftermarket hubs and they are 2.440") and trying to find a solution. Talking with @Shaun as well to see if his spacers will do the trick...

Thanks,

Allen

·
Registered
20,321 Posts
Hubs are the same. It’s just the ID that’s different on the bearings. Are those the rotors for 68 and later big cars? I’ve thought about the big brakes on and off. I actually have a set of Tbird/Lincoln 12” brakes and spindles in excellent shape with like new pads. I’m not sure if Shaun’s T bird caliper brackets would work with those rotors or if they need the aftermarket 12” with aluminum hats. I haven’t been able to determine if the offsets of both combinations are the same.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hubs are the same. It’s just the ID that’s different on the bearings. Are those the rotors for 68 and later big cars? I’ve thought about the big brakes on and off. I actually have a set of Tbird/Lincoln 12” brakes and spindles in excellent shape with like new pads. I’m not sure if Shaun’s T bird caliper brackets would work with those rotors or if they need the aftermarket 12” with aluminum hats. I haven’t been able to determine if the offsets of both combinations are the same.
Tom, I'm in the process of putting these together and trying to make an easy "here are the parts you need to do this". The calipers I ordered will be here tomorrow and Shaun is sending me the caliper brackets. To answer your question directly, I bought aftermarket hubs and I'm trying to determine if the center is the same dimensionally as original (or better stated, what original hub if any).

Also, I'm trying to determine if I need a spacer between the hub and the rotor to make it "hub centric". I bought aftermarket hubs with A12/A13 races installed for my D3DA spindles. I bought NAPA bearings and the hubs fit great.

Posting a picture to show the rotor on the hub and the space between the centers. The rotor on the lugs has just a little movement, not much, but enough to make me think I need a spacer.

BTW, this is not to say don't buy the package put together that the vendors we all know sell. I'm quickly learning why the package price is what it is...

Allen

Attachments

·
Registered
20,321 Posts
Gotcha. I’m not home until the weekend. I’ll try to get the dimensions of both the Mustang hubs and Tbird. I also have a couple sets of Mustang disc hubs for the single piston. I’m assuming they’re the same as the 65/67.

I’m doing some other work on the car during the winter. New exhaust, pulling the flywheel, I think the balance is off slightly and may pull the oil pan to fix a leak. Oh maybe new leafs too. See how the money tree does.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I'm getting 2.425 on 65 hubs. For reference my new Moser axles list the drum flange dimension as 2.430 and I had to do a little sanding to get the brake drums on. ID of my Mustang Steve front hub spacers that are supposed to be a friction fit are 2.240.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm getting 2.425 on 65 hubs. For reference my new Moser axles list the drum flange dimension as 2.430 and I had to do a little sanding to get the brake drums on. ID of my Mustang Steve front hub spacers that are supposed to be a friction fit are 2.240.
Thanks for taking the time! That tells me these hubs are pretty close. Maybe a little larger than stock but I was worried they were way smaller. I'll see what Shaun's spacer dimensions are and post back what we find.

Do you have a link to the MS spacers? If not, I'll try to find them.

Thanks again!

Allen

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
The Mustang Steve ones I have are about 2.8" OD for 2008-14 Mustangs with 12.5" and 13.2" rotors. How thick are those rotors at the hub? I just went through a lot of work to regain tire clearance and am getting concerned I'm going to be giving it all back when I pop the drums off my hubs and install rotors.

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
Those rotors look like a nightmare to me. Hopefully you get it sorted out.
The original Raybestos 6008 needed a separate hub to work...... and
happily the 65-67 Mustang disc hubs worked just right.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Attachments

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those rotors look like a nightmare to me. Hopefully you get it sorted out.
The original Raybestos 6008 needed a separate hub to work...... and
happily the 65-67 Mustang disc hubs worked just right.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
I'm using separate hubs that according to Nailbenders measurements are very close to original (I have a 66 GT that I'm going to try and check today).

I would think that if it is a Raybestos 6008, then all the centers would be the same. I guess not.

Hopefully I can get it sorted and I'll post what I find...

Allen

·
Registered
297 Posts
I may be completely wrong, but I was under the impression that the rotors on the mustangs went on the back of the hub and had the studs pressed through the rotor first then the hub?

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I may be completely wrong, but I was under the impression that the rotors on the mustangs went on the back of the hub and had the studs pressed through the rotor first then the hub?
Interesting thought. I just checked my GT but it is a bit useless as the hub and disc are a 1 piece unit (the hub center is a close match to the hubs I have). CA has 1 piece 11" hub/disc but I would like to be able to replace just the disc and not have to pull the whole assembly. If what you say is correct, that would totally defeat that purpose...

Allen

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The measurement on the largest ring on the backside of the hub is 3.5" and the rotor is 3.25" so that wouldn't work with these. Not saying you aren't correct but that wouldn't solve what parts I have (and not saying I have the correct parts obviously).

Allen

Attachments

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Interesting thought. I just checked my GT but it is a bit useless as the hub and disc are a 1 piece unit (the hub center is a close match to the hubs I have). CA has 1 piece 11" hub/disc but I would like to be able to replace just the disc and not have to pull the whole assembly. If what you say is correct, that would totally defeat that purpose...

Allen
I am glad you are going down the path of trying to figure this out and sharing the results. I have considered your rotor approach myself. I like the two piece rotors and reuse of the stock hubs.

I have a set of drum brake hubs/drums that I haven’t removed the drums from yet. I am not sure if drum hubs are different from disc hubs in 65-66 and if so I am not sure of what the difference in measurements are. if it is helpful, I can measure my hubs and post a pic.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am glad you are going down the path of trying to figure this out and sharing the results. I have considered your rotor approach myself. I like the two piece rotors and reuse of the stock hubs.

I have a set of drum brake hubs/drums that I haven’t removed the drums from yet. I am not sure if drum hubs are different from disc hubs in 65-66 and if so I am not sure of what the difference in measurements are. if it is helpful, I can measure my hubs and post a pic.
I think the measurements would be helpful (if just for reference). I'm not sure if original 65/66 disc had the hub/disc as one piece but I think maybe it did...

Allen

·
Registered
297 Posts

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
65-67 are actually "two piece"..... hub and rotor joined together mechanically
by the 5 wheel studs. To my knowledge they were always supplied as a whole.
(out of the box already assembled together)
You separated the 65-67 hub from its minuscule rotor when upgrading to the
(original) 6008 rotor..... to create the monster used in D0ZX Trans Am brake
kit.
The rotors are indeed behind the hubs on the 65-67 stock and when upgraded.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

1 - 20 of 28 Posts