Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car was previously used as a drag car and I've just discovered that the PO used solid aluminum bushings for the front leaf spring pivots. I'm running into some trouble removing the driver's side front pivot bolt, it seems to be seized to the aluminum bushing! I've trying smacking it with a hammer as best I could, but it wouldn't budge. I've also tried cutting off (saws-all with bi-metal blade) the grade 8 bolt but chewed up three blades while only getting about half way thru.

Would anyone have any suggestions on how I can get this pivot bolt removed so I can finally remove the leaf spring from the car?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Right angle die grinder with 3-1/2" cut off wheel. It will only go half way through then rotate bolt and continue. Oh a good face shield helps when using the die grinder on your back while staring at your work.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Yup, It's the only thing I've found to work, But be very careful! And upon reassembly I would recommend a good coating of anti-seize inside your new bushings. Good Luck.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
And shove the spring all the way to the opposite side of which you are cutting.

·
Registered
310 Posts
i used one SZ blade on each bolt when I had to cut them out to install my caltracs.I also cut on the side with the head so I would be able to move the spring around. are you using a descent blade? i would throw a socket and ratchet on there and turn the bolt a few times first. Steel cant fuse itself to aluminum but the bolt might be rusted to the mounting tabs for the spring which are steel.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Sawsall with a carbide blade (no teeth, just the
grit coating on the blade). With that item it's
about a 3 minute job for both springs.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I did some quick research and I was wrong. Steel will seize to aluminum over time due to a chemical process. Best solution to fix is to use a anti seize lube of some sort.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, now that I've finally won the battle with the spring removal, I've got to get the aluminum bushing out! Each side of the bushing has a lip so I assume the bushing is two seperate pieces.

How do I remove this style bushing? Does the inner steel coller get pushed out thus seperating the bushing in halves? If so, does it require a press or should I be able to beat the coller out?

·
Registered
310 Posts
The bored hole should be 1/2" well actually about .550. the steel sleeve should push right out though, so grab a 5/8 bar or something to fit onto the sleeve and bang it out. As for the bushings use a drill bit larger then the hole and drill half way thru grab a pin and then hammer out one side of the bushing then do it to the other side.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts