Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I recently installed new front coils on my 66 V8 A/C

I want stock ride height which I understand to be something near 26 1/4. Unfortunately I'm sitting at 25 1/4 after my install with stock height tires.

Maybe I goofed because I installed springs for a non-A/C car.
Would the weight of the original compressor be enough to drop the nose a full inch?

I actually went with the non-A/C springs on purpose as I intend to replace the original compressor with a late model unit which I understand are much lighter and didn't want the nose up too high afterwards.

So, do you think I'll be close to stock height with non-A/C springs once I switch to the lighter new compressor?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Have you done the arning drop? That alone will lower the front a bit more than 1/2 an inch.

Edit: I don't think that the weight of the original compressor would make that much of a difference and if it did, it'd probably be more on the left side than the right.

·
Premium Member
4,361 Posts
The compressor isn't that heavy. Have the upper control arms been relocated? You say stock tire height... What are you running?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think the uca has been lowered. I don't see any old holes.

I'm running a 215/60/15 which I think is pretty close to original height.

·
Premium Member
12,047 Posts
Would the weight of the original compressor be enough to drop the nose a full inch?

No, the A/C compressor, brackets and pulleys weigh maybe 25 lbs total. I have all of those parts but I don't have any scales to weigh them. Definitely not heavy enough to lower the car 1".

Where did you get the 26.25" measurement from?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found this on another thread here.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
TSB#727
Ride Height Dated 4-1-66

To measure. Place car on level ground , push down on front and rear bumper by at least 1 inch the let off (to settle suspension) Measurements are made at the center of front and rear wheel wells at the cent of the wheel. Then lift up on the bumper and let settle and repeat process. Average both measurements. Do the front completely before doing the rear.

Model Min. Normal Max. Tire size

Front Ride Height
6 cyl...............................25 27/32 26 13/32 27 13/32 6.95 x 14
8 and 6 with AC.........25 3/4 26 19/64 27 19/64 6.95 x 14
High Perf.....................25 3/64 25 19/32 26 19/32 6.95 x 14

Rear Ride Height
All except Hypo..........24 2 25 17/64 26 17/64 6.95 x 14
High perf.....................24 7/64 24 55/64 25 55/64 6.95 x 14

·
Premium Member
12,047 Posts
I wouldn't put much confidence in a 53 year old TSB using 6.95 x 14 tires. The only thing that matters is what you like and want. If the front end is too low for your tastes get some of those extra large coil spring insulators that fit at the top of each spring. Or get some taller springs and cut off about 1/4 of a coil at a time until you get the desired result.

·
Premium Member
4,361 Posts
^^^^ or swap with somebody that wants to go lower.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't put much confidence in a 53 year old TSB using 6.95 x 14 tires. The only thing that matters is what you like and want. If the front end is too low for your tastes get some of those extra large coil spring insulators that fit at the top of each spring. Or get some taller springs and cut off about 1/4 of a coil at a time until you get the desired result.

Sounds like the best plan. I'm okay with the ride height but the supreme commander seems to think it's a tad low. She knows best lol.

I didn't know thicker insulators were available.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Sounds like the best plan. I'm okay with the ride height but the supreme commander seems to think it's a tad low. She knows best lol.

I didn't know thicker insulators were available.
A better way to gain height is to simply shim the spring perch on the upper control arm. Install a couple of quality washers on each side and get the thickness about 1/4" and use longer grade 8 bolts. That will raise the front end about 1/2". This is as great way to fine tune your ride height.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I called Summitt and told them I'm an inch low after installing stock height springs. They're sending me new springs by a different brand and a set of 1" urethane isolators just in case. Good service from those guys.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting thing I learned about thicker isolators.

The manufacturers are not consistent on how these class these.

The Global West 1" isolators are actually 1" and lift the car around 2"

Scott Drake 1" isolators are actually less than 1" and lift the car around 1"

Be sure you know what you're getting before you hit the buy now button.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts