Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I tore Midlife apart 5 years ago, I found some seat shims between the carpet and the lower frames. When I reassembled the car, I couldn't find anything in my reference materials showing the shims, so I figured that the PO did something funky.

However, I recently noticed that NPD sells exactly these seat shims (page 7, item 013190), both concours correct and repro. They call them mounting plate, seat track. I went back again to the Osborne Assembly Manuals and the Illustrated Guides (both 65 and 66) and still don't see these things.

What gives? How important are they?

N

·
0 Posts
I know when I tore down my 66 it had them. I am 98% confident that the seats had never been out or messed with.

·
Administrator
19,500 Posts
My coupe has them, and I put them in my fastback, too.

G

·
0 Posts
All 65-67 Mustangs had them. Sometime in '68 Ford went to a seat track with them made into the tracks.

·
Administrator
19,500 Posts
It must have been very late in 1968, because my coupe was built June 2, and it has the shims.

·
Premium Member
19,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, if they are to be installed, does the curved end curve up and beyond the tracks, I presume?

What problem, if any, will I have if I leave the shims out?

·
Administrator
19,500 Posts
The curved end is at the front, and it curves down toward the carpet.

G

·
0 Posts
They help the seat movement by keeping it up away from the carpet so the tracks won't bind on the material.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
It was a very early running change (not sure how many got built without them :0 ) But the nap on the carpet gets pulled when the seat is adjusted

·
Premium Member
5,263 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts