Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a few guys have recently done this or are in the process of, so I decided to start tackling it today. Replacing the front radiator support, Battery Tray Apron, and pax side front frame rail.

Question is, on the front frame rail, there's the bracket just below/in front of the shock tower, where the radiator cross member support is attached to, going forward to the rad. support. I need to cut behind there on the frame rail to replace the rail, and need to know where or how it's welded on there. I also have a replacement cross member, and curious if those things were spot welded on, or a seam weld??? As they do seem fairly thick (haven't measured the gauge yet) and not sure if my mig will handle it.

Anyways, I have pics if needed (and I can figure how to post it) but got the front off today, and hopefully the little pieces tomorrow with some initial welding done.

Thanks

·
Registered
482 Posts
I believe they are spot welded with 4 or so welds. I picked up the weld and sealant manual for my car prior to replacing any metal. This manual basically shows you how the car is welded together, each and every piece.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya, I forgot I had that, Looked at it, seems to be so.

Question, anyone know the difference between the different classes of welds??? Some say class 1,2,3????? Is it simply the size of them or?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts