Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on tackling the front shocks on my 65 coupe (289) on Sunday... My mechanic said that I need to remove the two bolts from the shock to the shock mount. The 3 bolts on the shock mount, and then put a 2x4 in between the control arm and the frame, and jack up the car from the control arm, and I can then access the bolts underneath to remove the shock. Does this sound correct? He couldn't remember if the 2x4 was necessary or not. Anything else I need to know? I'm certainly new to this stuff. Any suggested type of shock? I'll be going to a local auto parts store, and was just going to ask them, but if anyone has a specific brand they find rides nice and smooth, I'm open to it. Thanks.

·
Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,336 Posts
Sounds right if your planning on pulling the shock out through the top of the shock tower. I haven't tried this so I don't know if it'll fit. I've always pulled my spring out... My front springs are cut so I don't even use a spring compressor, I just put them into place with my hand!

I would buy some KYB's unless you have a race\track car in mind, then I would buy some Koni's or Spax. KYB's are around $100 for 4, Koni's and Spax are about $100 EACH but are adjustable.

·
Registered
916 Posts
If the '65 front end is set up the same as the '68, then it should be a really simple job. For mine, I removed all the bolts on the top, then there were two on the bottom. The one closest to the engine was easy, but the one on the outside required using a wrench, and came out a bit slower. So if it is the same, this should be a quick and easy job.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Jack up car, remove 2 bolts on bottom (may need to jack lower control arm to get access to rear bolt. Take out top 2 bolts and jimmy shock out of top shck cradle. It is not nessasary to remove the top shock mount, the shock will come out pretty easy. You can replace them both in a hour...

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Sounds about right... depending on how many beers are in the fridge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts