Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What front shock are you running on your Vintage Mustang? Any other suspension upgraded? Looking at Total Control upper A-arms when the budget allows. Also thinking about lower arms. Currently have roller spring seats, Grab A Track 600-pound springs, and a 1-1/8 " sway bar.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I am running about the same as yours. I did go back with the 1 inch bar over the 1-1/8 though. Running Bilstein shocks and a 3 link in the back.

·
Registered
481 Posts
From mild to wild?
When budget minded you should identify a shortcoming before throwing parts at it. What does it need to do better?
True, the only almost magical parts I have ever come across were brand new and expensive racing slicks.. Now that makes a difference till they are corded the next day.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
True, the only almost magical parts I have ever come across were brand new and expensive racing slicks.. Now that makes a difference till they are corded the next day.
I would put R Compound road race tires in that category, 2 seconds off an autocross time but in a hard corner like turn 7 at Sears Point, its like driving through gravel as you hear the balls o'rubber hitting the undercarriage and see them rolling across the hood... Yeeee Haaaa life was sure good before Marriage and kids...

Konis but most everyone says Bilsteins nowadaze, sport valved if you are into it.

·
Registered
689 Posts
What front shock are you running on your Vintage Mustang? Any other suspension upgraded? Looking at Total Control upper A-arms when the budget allows. Also thinking about lower arms. Currently have roller spring seats, Grab A Track 600-pound springs, and a 1-1/8 " sway bar.
QA1 single adjustable shocks all around.

Sent from the interwebs... where else?

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Sport valved Bilstien coil overs for autocross. I intend to go to race valving eventually.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I ran sport valve bilsteins all last year, and loved them as a great all around shock for both street and autocross, but eventually noticed I wasn't getting enough dampening under braking, so went to the new hotchkis adjustables APS 1.5s. Holy [email protected]! I've only run one race (thankyou corona virus) but the diff is very noticeable in the car and on video. Soft setting is very soft, but full firm is definitely tight, and keeps the front from diving under braking, and allows the rear to squat under accell. Just a courtesy note, any adjustment in the back is a bear to reach. Plus, theres no adjuster extensions available. BUT.. a 6" piece of heater hose fits perfectly over the knob allowing you to adjust with a quick reach into the trunk.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the Hotchkis shocks as well, and I would put them in the same category as my old Koni D/As that were tuned by ProParts. Those were GOOD shocks too. These Hotchkis tuned FOX shocks are pretty amazing.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Do the hotchkis shocks have adjustable compression and rebound?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
So if only rebound is adjustable, how do you adjust them to control dive on braking?

·
Registered
29 Posts
So if only rebound is adjustable, how do you adjust them to control dive on braking?
They are tuned up pretty freaking good already. I haven't noticed a need to increase compression in them at all.. With my Konis, I was always fiddling with them, setting them up for each track and making fine tuning adjustments that sometimes netted me no gains at all. These shocks are just good. I don't know what kind of valving they use, but it works.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts