Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, a question to all handling gurus. If I put stiffer than stock springs, it decreases understeering. But if I put stiffer than say 620lbs springs, it increases understeering. Is this correct?

Door handle first

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Your front and rear springs need to be matched to achieve balanced handling. I would say that higher
rate front springs would increase understeer. Typical suspension tuning is done with swaybars, once
you have achieved the proper spring rate. Street handling is a trade off between comfort and trying
to achieve grip. A adjustable rear sway bar is probably the best way to try and balance a early mustang.
The "Stam Bar" brand sway bar allows you to have some adjustment, more rear bar give you more oversteer. I would go lighter on the springs and heavier on the swaybars...

1966 Mustang Coupe

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply. I won't start about my "Door handle first" combination. But still curious about whether the claim I heard is true? So do stiffening front springs have different effect on understeering when you go from soft to medium vs stiff to race stiff? All other things kept equal.

Door handle first<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Arto65FB on 03/07/01 06:04 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts