Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:)Hi Ladies and Gents,

My name is Jim Carver I live in Garner NC I have an 08 gt500 and a 67 Gt500 clone convertible.

I have done some research on the site for answers to my question and this topic has been beat to death but I am looking for a specific answer.

On the 67 I have rubbing issues all the way around. Here is what I have done.

I have 17x9.5 American racing rims with 235 x 40x 17 inch tires all the way around.

I have rebuilt the origional leaf springs with bushing and added new Gaberial shocks in the back.

I do have a mismatch set of front springs because this car is kinda a mut.
just the way I bought it.

The Clearance around the tires as it sits looks great and with one person in the car there is not much scraping unless in a real tight turn at a good turning speed.

I am looking for an answer to both issues as I am tired of throwing money at it. can you please make a solid recomdation on front springs that will keep a solid clean ride highth and one that will really stiffen up the front end to keep it from rubbing as well. The back I believe I just in need to replace the shaclkes with a 1 inch raise. I don't mind the mod on the springs I just want to know which springs to buy and if I rasise the car one inch all the way around i dont mind I just want the car to stop scraping and I dont want to spend a Grand on smaller rims and tires.

PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I know you don't want to spend the money on new rims but given the correct backspacing those should be fine on the rear even with 275 tires. The rims sound alittle wide for the front though. 17x8 with 4.75 BS would be better in front and keeping your 235 tires. Sorry, thats not what your looking for though so I am not much help :(

·
Administrator
13,017 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I know you like the "slammed" look but if you keep it that ride height you are just going to have to live with it. Shackles are a bad idea to raise the rear - get a different set of springs. If they are too high you can always use lowering blocks.

As for the front - I recommend you get a set of stock ride height 550 lb springs from Grab-a-track. Put them in and if you don't like the height then cut them until you get the height you want.

If you put in springs strong enough to keep it from hitting the tire as it sits then get ready for a REALLY rough ride.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts