Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While my block is at the machine shop and my fenders are off, I figured this is a good time to replace my upper and lower control arms and coil springs. Can someone give me a brief run down of what I need to do to remove and replace these parts? Also some pitfalls to look out for. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Come to Omaha in September and watch the pro's do it. ::
1st thing, buy lots of penetrating oil and spray every thing several times before beginning. You'll need a jack, jackstands, ball joint seperator, tie rod seperator, spring compressor, BFH (hammer) wrenches, socket set, breaker bar for said socket set BFH again. :: and lots of patience.
Total control products has a good set of direction for replacing control arms. You can print a copy for use. If you look at it for a while; it becomes clearer what needs to be done.
If all else fails ask specific questions because there are a lot of people who are doing this/have done this. I'm in the middle right now and will know a lot more soon.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Get a good spring compressor.. after the springs are out its all easy... Take lots of photos.. also.. don't loose or mix up the upper control arm shims if there are any.. If you put them on with the new arms you will be alot closer to the alignment you used to have.. Also.. Don't forget to grease all the joints and pivots.. they don't come with any in them..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts