Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm lining up the first project of the winter...a rebuild of the suspension on my 67 GTA Vert. I intend to replace the UCA & LCA, as I'm sure the ball joints are shot, and adding new control arms is not that big of an additional expense. I also intend to replace springs and shocks, with a 1" drop.

Inquiring minds want to know:

1. Who has the "best" rebuild kit for the dollar...keep in mind, I'm not looking at going Global West or Control Freak, just looking at replacing my UCA, LCA and rubber. 40 year old parts have probably seen their time.

2. Outside of the UCA, LCA and associated rubber, what other components should I be looking at renovate/replace?

3. I do intend to replace the perches with the OpenTracker Roller Perch.

4. Any gotcha's I should watch out for?

Thanks

N

·
0 Posts
I went with the following:
opentracker upper arms
stock moog lowers
shelby drop
dazecars roller spring perches
new steering componets
620 1 inch drop springs [grab a track]

There is probably more that I cant rememeber.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I went with a combination of opentracker and NPD. If I was doing it again, I probably would have just replaced the spring perch rockers as the rubber was practically welded to one of the shafts and it took more time than I wanted to spend to get them apart. Both of these places provided quality, American-made replacement parts at a reasonable price. I'm sure there are others.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
make sure to use rubber bushings and not poly. grease everything up before installation. have wire wheel and spray paint ready b/c you will want to clean everything up while you have it all dissasembled.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I went with opentracker street UCA/LCA, roller perches, bigger sway bar, 350lb GT springs (per John at OpenTracker's recommendation). His UCA's and LCA's are from Moog and he builds them up, IIRC, depending on which ones you get. The general sense I got is that Moog makes good stock-type arms. I think I'm replacing my strut arm bushings as well. I'll let you know how it all works it out hopefully soon.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Have you ever looked at fly-ford's setup? There was an article on it recently. Marlon, the shop owner is a great guy to talk to. Call him up. He redesigned the front suspension pieces. They look OEM, but are definitely better! I'll be going with that setup in a bit. Search Fly-Ford on google.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Contact Opentracker. He KNOWS suspensions, sells nothing but quality parts, his customer service is totally amazing, and if that's not enough, he's a long time fellow VMFer.

I've got lots of his parts on my cars, and he's atually putting together the suspension parts for the rebuild of my daughter's '69, as we speak.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
utah67gta said:
I'm lining up the first project of the winter...a rebuild of the suspension on my 67 GTA Vert. I intend to replace the UCA & LCA, as I'm sure the ball joints are shot, and adding new control arms is not that big of an additional expense. I also intend to replace springs and shocks, with a 1" drop.

Inquiring minds want to know:

1. Who has the "best" rebuild kit for the dollar...keep in mind, I'm not looking at going Global West or Control Freak, just looking at replacing my UCA, LCA and rubber. 40 year old parts have probably seen their time.

2. Outside of the UCA, LCA and associated rubber, what other components should I be looking at renovate/replace?

3. I do intend to replace the perches with the OpenTracker Roller Perch.

4. Any gotcha's I should watch out for?

Thanks
Here is a parts list that has everything you'll need. Almost all of the parts are available from several vendors. You might look at www.streetortrack.com for some of it. They have a LOT of parts available for these cars.

The gotcha's are to not go overboard. The fancy control arms are not needed for a street car IMO. The "other than stock" parts that do the most are the bigger front sway bar and the roller parts. A performance alignment is also needed before the car hits the street. We have some specs. on our web site that will work for your car.

http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/tech/

1/4" Poly coil spring insulators
480lb 1" drop coil springs
Stock type Upper arms
Stock type Lower arms
Roller spring perches
Steering kit with roller idler arm
Rubber Strut rod bushings
KYB Front shocks
Grab-A-Track rear shocks
1 1/8" front sway bar kit
4.5 Mid eye 1" drop leaf springs with new U-Bolt, front eye bolt and rear shackle kit

Even if you don't buy all of the parts from us, I'll be happy to help put together a kit that will work for you and your budget. Send us an email [email protected]

John

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All -

Thanks for your help.....now I just need to set the priority to execute the plan...you know, House Projects, Christmas, etc

N

·
0 Posts
If you are putting the wife, house and kids ahead of the car you have priority issues LOL

·
Registered
479 Posts
John (Opentracker) is who I used for my front suspension. Great guy and great products! He was extremely helpful and I love the way the car handles.

Used CSRP (discbrakeswap.com) for the disc conversion and am happy with that as well.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
:thumbup: One more thumbs up for John. I have talked with him several times on the phone about my car. Great guy to deal with, hopefully I will get my car back on all fours this weekend. But it will be a couple of weeks before I finish the brake swap.

Using his roller perch design
reworked UCA
stock LCA
Shelby 1in Drop

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
wally05 said:
Have you ever looked at fly-ford's setup? There was an article on it recently. Marlon, the shop owner is a great guy to talk to. Call him up. He redesigned the front suspension pieces. They look OEM, but are definitely better! I'll be going with that setup in a bit. Search Fly-Ford on google.
Please don't take this personal, But I read that article as well and I tried to look into it, just out of curiousity. That website they have really blows, there are no "Products" or "prices". They should have done an aricle on Opentracker, at least his website lists prices and options, he too is a great guy (as you can see from his post below, how many vendors will tell you what parts to get, even if they are not theirs). I never understood why that magazine (Mustang&Fords) stopped listing the prices for the components they write articles about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts