Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Mustang GT
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I'm awaiting my motor to come back, so while it's out, I want to freshen up the front suspension of my 68 fastback. For the most part, everything looks pretty good. I just want to replace bushings and grease caps, etc. There's seems to be a crap-load of stuff on line, but does anyone know of a kit that has all the bushings, dust seals, etc. together? I'm a bit green with suspension stuff, so buying individually will likely cost me a fair bit.

I plan on doing the 1" shelby drop and replacing the front shocks with Koni's.

I have new Koni's in the back, which ended up raising the rear end about 1.5". The previous owner had shorter shocks in. When I pulled them to replace, they were about 1.5" shorter than the Koni's. I liked it better lower so I'll need to figure out how to lower the rear end again, and hopefully I can do it without getting rid of the brand new Koni's I just put in.

·
Premium Member
6,777 Posts
I have new Koni's in the back, which ended up raising the rear end about 1.5". The previous owner had shorter shocks in. When I pulled them to replace, they were about 1.5" shorter than the Koni's. I liked it better lower so I'll need to figure out how to lower the rear end again, and hopefully I can do it without getting rid of the brand new Koni's I just put in.
Unless the car has been driven around the block and made a few turns your rear end hasn't resettled itself yet. It's probably just fine. You're gonna find the same issue up front too, even after the "Shelby Drop" is done and the engine back in. The car must be DRIVEN under full weight before seeing where everything will settle.

·
Premium Member
6,064 Posts
A lot of guys on here recommend opentracker.com to get you dialed in with new goodies for your specific application. I got all polyurethane bushings and Moog tie rods and ball joints etc 25 + years ago, along with 620 coils and four-leaf rear springs with standard height, and Gabriel Stryder shocks from Mustangs Plus. I need to update my shocks, maybe, but everything is holding up like new. I drive mine between one and fours days per week.

·
Registered
1968 Mustang GT
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I'll look into open tracker.

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Registered
1968 Mustang GT
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mods, can you move this thread? Sorry. I posted it in the wrong section.

Reactions: erials

·
Registered
1968 Mustang GT
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys, Elides open tracker setup, would anyone recommend the starter front suspension kit from cj pony?

or is it worth saving a few bucks and just rebuild the uppers, replace the lowers and, etc?

All the grease pockets or whatever they are called are all cracked on all the ball joints through the front end.

·
Premium Member
13,834 Posts
No on the CJ kit

Z.

PS. the best way to save some $$$ and still have a realistic plan for step by step suspension improvement is to email John @ Opentracker, explain what’s your budget is and what your goals are. Request a call back.

when John calls you back you are in for a real treat. He realizes most folks can’t do all desired improvements at one time. He will help you prioritize the upgrades and be there for you whenever ?’s arise.
Aside from him having very competitive pricing, there is no one in the vintage car business who will take a personal interest in your project like John does, day in and day out. You really owe it to yourself to find out this ASAP.

·
Registered
1968 Mustang GT
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I'll call and see what can be done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts