Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone Do any suspension mixing?

I really like the SoT 3-Link and am considering a Gen3 Ford Crate Motor...... which SoT does not support. And, the Maier Mod2 Front end looks great AND supports the Mod3 motor!

Any input on this?

·
Spammer Hammer
11,950 Posts
Not sure what a Mod3 motor is, but if it were me, I would try and stick with one supplier and get them to work with the application you are trying to achieve. Both of the companies you are considering have thousands upon thousands of development hours in their products to work together as a complete system…not some jumbled together cluttered mess.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure what a Mod3 motor is, but if it were me, I would try and stick with one supplier and get them to work with the application you are trying to achieve. Both of the companies you are considering have thousands upon thousands of development hours in their products to work together as a complete system…not some jumbled together cluttered mess.

Gen3 Ford Crate Motor! Sorry......

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Mod 3 is considered a yote having gen 1,2,3 5.0, 2 and 1 being 3v and 2v 4.6, if your going with mod3 for the sake of having modern power, then your left with Mike maier, it’s my personal opinion that a sbf is the best engine for these cars, sound, torque and if you put a 700 whp blown yote you will never have traction without having to do tubs or flares, and mod 3 motors sound horrible
both suspensions are very good, I prefer sot stuff because Shaun and his constant new products and the customer support is top notch

·
Spammer Hammer
11,950 Posts
BTW…the car in my signature is nothing more than full rollerized OEM type suspension from ORP and it handles petty damn well at speed or not…at considerably less cost. Just throwing that out there. Again not trying to take anything away from either of the companies you have mentioned.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mod 3 is considered a yote having gen 1,2,3 5.0, 2 and 1 being 3v and 2v 4.6, if your going with mod3 for the sake of having modern power, then your left with Mike maier, it’s my personal opinion that a sbf is the best engine for these cars, sound, torque and if you put a 700 whp blown yote you will never have traction without having to do tubs or flares, and mod 3 motors sound horrible
both suspensions are very good, I prefer sot stuff because Shaun and his constant new products and the customer support is top notch
I agree.... I was just looking at costs.....comparing the Mod motor to the traditional V-8(which sound superior compared) and the Mod looks like about $3k less (Motor and Trans). I really want to stick to one supplier, i.e. SoT and have talked to Shaun several times-- his stuff is fantastic, but wanted to really sift out this angle. Thanks for your input 5speed65.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW…the car in my signature is nothing more than full rollerized OEM type suspension from ORP and it handles petty damn well at speed or not…at considerably less cost. Just throwing that out there. Again not trying to take anything away from either of the companies you have mentioned.

I had the exact original Shelby suspension (1", #620, #220) on my 65 for 25yr, drove the living 2 engine heck out of it! I thought the Shelby set-up was fantastic. Just have a little time and a little cash and was looking at all of the angles! Thanks for your input, patrickstapler.

·
Spammer Hammer
11,950 Posts
Like I say…not trying to make you drink the water, just making sure you consider all options. Sounds like you are. I’m sure you will be happy wherever you land.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Idk where your looking that a mod3 is cheaper but, the amount of wiring,tuning, fueling, cutting out shock towers and welding in new suspension, trans tunnel is not cheaper than a fe or sbf with a 4 speed or tkx

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
After putting the 5.4 DOHC in my 97 F150 I got to say unless somebody does tuning for a living they won't be doing much to a mod motor other than maybe install it or plugs.

Most of the Ford control packs come with a base tube to get it cranked but somebody still has to tune it . Then if you do any modifications down the road somebody still has to tune it, if you can't buy some kind of tune to load in it.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
FWIW, taking into account the quality and effectiveness of Shaun’s coil over suspension and the power a SBF stroker (302 or 351 based) makes, any other setup doesn’t make much sense power or dollar wise. Unless the Coyote is an absolute must have, go with SOT.

Rusty

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Idk where your looking that a mod3 is cheaper but, the amount of wiring,tuning, fueling, cutting out shock towers and welding in new suspension, trans tunnel is not cheaper than a fe or sbf with a 4 speed or tkx
Yes.... there is a ton of work. Check it out though, on a pure $$$ level, the Gen 3 Mod with an AT or MT + all associated hardware and controls from a wrecked 2018 or > with low miles is is around $14k. The SBF with TKX is around $19k. There is a lot of "do it yourself" labor for that $5k spread.

I know that there are a lot of factors to be considered, again, I am just ringing our all angles. And, I have not yet decided which way to go. Thanks again for your input.

·
Premium Member
6,102 Posts
I had always dismissed the work involved in putting a Coyote in a old Mustang until I bought an F-150 with one a few months ago. It is in fact an awesome motor, stupidly fast on E85 at a stop light compared the much larger displacement competitors offering using the same design transmission. The fact that they can go 8000 rpm is icing on the cake! My shock towers still in place with a SoT front coil over system, my future goal is a 363/427 sbf, not a Coyote.

Reactions: Gearheadfmc

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Gear, I'm going ask where are you getting your numbers ? The mod/Coyote engines and transmissions are FAR more expensive then the pushrod engines. So far apart, its not even a contest. The Coyote / Mod motor swaps have generally been for the 'money is no object' crowd. Anything you can get from a Coyote, you can have cheaper from a pushrod engine. YES, anything. You want 8 K ? You want 800 hp ? easily doable, and for LESS money, AND you don't need expensive butchery to make it fit. LSG

·
Registered
548 Posts
LSG I agree with most of this but I do think that getting an 8k pushrod motor that’s as reliable isn’t as cheap as you’re implying right now. Don’t get me wrong, I think the swap overall is going to be way more money but straight comparison of the two motors isn’t that straight forward. You can get a coyote from ford performance or roush for 9-13k. I’m pretty sure a reliable pushrod motor is going to be darn comparable at that rate. I’ve actually been amazed at some of the mustangs that have been sold with coyotes installed being fairly comparable to a pushrod motor on bring a trailer, I would be suspect on the work myself but I do see the allure for some people.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gear, I'm going ask where are you getting your numbers ? The mod/Coyote engines and transmissions are FAR more expensive then the pushrod engines. So far apart, its not even a contest. The Coyote / Mod motor swaps have generally been for the 'money is no object' crowd. Anything you can get from a Coyote, you can have cheaper from a pushrod engine. YES, anything. You want 8 K ? You want 800 hp ? easily doable, and for LESS money, AND you don't need expensive butchery to make it fit. LSG
Thanks LSG.

There are many, many used, low mile combos Automatics or Manuals.... check here for example:

20 FORD MUSTANG GT 5.0 ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION CHANGEOVER | eBay

So, I am not sure which way I will go, but right now the car is 100% stripped down to the unibody.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Gear, don't fall for it. The Coyote idea is a trap. They AREN'T more powerful, or better, or cheaper. Even if you spent the same money, engine to engine, the installation of the Mod motor into the early chassis is not for the faint of heart or thin of wallet. If you're in a position that you are comparing dollars, that alone means you should reconsider. How much power are you looking for ? LSG

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
And what about the next v8 motor ford releases, look at the resto mods from the 2000s with 05-09 interiors that look super outdated and a motor that is outdated by the yot

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gear, don't fall for it. The Coyote idea is a trap. They AREN'T more powerful, or better, or cheaper. Even if you spent the same money, engine to engine, the installation of the Mod motor into the early chassis is not for the faint of heart or thin of wallet. If you're in a position that you are comparing dollars, that alone means you should reconsider. How much power are you looking for ? LSG
My '12 Shelby has 640 to the wheels. That, in a 3750lb car with driver. So, with this build, I'm looking for about 480 to the wheels or 600 at the crank, more or less. With the cost of the suspension and brakes eating about 43% of the budget, I was just looking at all of the options. For certain, I am not sold on the Coyote motor, I am really interested in other views and opinion-- even knowing I might get flamed. Thanks again for your input LSG

1 - 20 of 20 Posts