Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi !
I need to quickly choose front suspension, now I have only springs, front bar and steering knuckle.
Can somebody recommend front suspension kit ?
I don't want to have rally version :), just as closed as OEM was.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I bought the Scott Drake stuff. Good fit with no issues. If my next car is kept stock, I'll buy it again.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Try this for a start:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought the Scott Drake stuff. Good fit with no issues. If my next car is kept stock, I'll buy it again.
Looks nice ! I have checked their catalogue, but I dont see a kit, so did you order each part alone ? I worry that I will forget about something, if it will be not complete set.

What is your budget? And how do your drive your car? Daily? Weekends? Highway?
I have not idea about budget. Car will be for fun, so only summer's weekends and mostly cruising around then highways. That's why I prefer to be close to OEM, I think more important is quality/reliability than performance. I have decided to mod brakes only due to safety (front discs), but suspension and (power) steering I prefer to stay as it was.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I did the same as Lenny. My suspension was shot. Ordered all Scott Drake stuff. Easy to order, upper and lower control arm, get a roller spring purch. Also get adjustable strut rods and spend the money on good shocks and springs. I had Scott Drake on but swapped them fro Bilsteins. Expensive shocks but worth it. I also put a 1" sway bar on. Added an export brace and a monte carlo bar and my convertible corners like a dream. No body roll.

Honestly if I could do it again, I'd fit my front with coil overs. As Huskinhano said, talk to the guys at Opentracker or Street or Track. Both solid people who will help you with whatever you need.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did the same as Lenny. My suspension was shot. Ordered all Scott Drake stuff. Easy to order, upper and lower control arm, get a roller spring purch. Also get adjustable strut rods and spend the money on good shocks and springs. I had Scott Drake on but swapped them fro Bilsteins. Expensive shocks but worth it. I also put a 1" sway bar on. Added an export brace and a monte carlo bar and my convertible corners like a dream. No body roll.
So do you mean that reusing of current (I think OEM) springs are not good idea ?

Thank you !

·
Registered
69 Posts

Honestly if I could do it again, I'd fit my front with coil overs. As Huskinhano said, talk to the guys at Opentracker or Street or Track. Both solid people who will help you with whatever you need.
You say you really like what you've done so far and seem happy with the handling result. Why would you do coil overs if you had to do it over? What benefit would be you expecting? I only ask because I am planning the same upgrades as you as they seem pretty common and straightforward but want to make sure I am not missing something.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
So do you mean that reusing of current (I think OEM) springs are not good idea ?

Thank you !
I would say if the car sat at the ride height you want with the old springs, use them. Cars had different springs depending on options. I don't know if there are aftermarket equivalents (someone else might!) If there was not something wrong with them I would stick with the originals. They can always be swapped out later if you decide to.

Reactions: sherif

·
Registered
1,160 Posts

Thank you !
I wasn't sure how they were. And since I was putting on all new equipment, I thought I'd upgrade the springs as well.

You say you really like what you've done so far and seem happy with the handling result. Why would you do coil overs if you had to do it over? What benefit would be you expecting? I only ask because I am planning the same upgrades as you as they seem pretty common and straightforward but want to make sure I am not missing something.
I quess I should rephrase that. I am happy with the stock stuff, but coilovers should be better.......right? At the time I wanted to keep the car as stock as possible. Originally this car was something for me to wrench on. Replacing the suspension with all stock stuff was easy with a good set of tools and the workshop manual. Having never done any car work before I thought this was the best way to start. Now, If money wasn't an option, I'd like to see how the car would handle with coilovers

·
Banned
3,546 Posts

Thank you !
If replacing the rest of the suspension I'd replace the springs as well, both coils and leafs. Especially if they're old, worn, sagging or you simply don't know when they were replaced last. Coil and leaf springs are pretty inexpensive and if you don't like the height you can simply use a cutoff wheel to cut them down to where you want the ride height at. Start by cutting a quarter coil off at a time and do it as many times as you need to get the height you want as you can't add length back to the coils.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
If your that far into it, do you know about the "Shelby/Arning" drop? If not, do a search for it and I am sure I speak for most on here, it is worth it. As for front coils, I went with a Scott Drake "GT" style spring. It has been about 5 years since I did this.......but recall my conversation directly with Eaton at the time, there was no difference in the front coil springs on the "improved handing" cars.....which is why I went with a Scott Drake "GT" style. It is stiffer than the OEM springs, but not as stiff as most performance handling kits. I built for a spirited weekend warrior with highway and street use, not track. As other stated above, Moog replacement steering and strut rod bushings, 1" sway bar, and and your spring perch, look for a rollar version.

·
Registered
32 Posts

View attachment 736210
Lenny, it looks like the outermost portion of the UCA has been ground flat - mine is more rounded , cupping downward and extends ~3/8” farther away from the frame rail, covering more of the ball joint. On my car this actually touches the inner part of the tire, wearing away the raised lettering ( but not the actual sidewall ). Is that a modification you did or did they come that way ?
Mike - 68 coupe, swapped to front disc brakes from a 69, steel GT rims and P235/60R14

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If replacing the rest of the suspension I'd replace the springs as well, both coils and leafs. Especially if they're old, worn, sagging or you simply don't know when they were replaced last. Coil and leaf springs are pretty inexpensive and if you don't like the height you can simply use a cutoff wheel to cut them down to where you want the ride height at. Start by cutting a quarter coil off at a time and do it as many times as you need to get the height you want as you can't add length back to the coils.
I have already invested in old leafs :cool:. Blacksmith told me that car mileage was low, since they are in very good shape and only rust did an issue. Rust was removed and main leaf was renovated then all was painted with new clips. So I want to leave them. Maybe they are not expensive, but they are heave and big, so transport to EU is expensive.

MOOG OEM Replacements. Eaton-Detroit Spring for the coils. Koni or Bilstein shocks.
I will check this out, thanks !

If your that far into it, do you know about the "Shelby/Arning" drop? If not, do a search for it and I am sure I speak for most on here, it is worth it. As for front coils, I went with a Scott Drake "GT" style spring. It has been about 5 years since I did this.......but recall my conversation directly with Eaton at the time, there was no difference in the front coil springs on the "improved handing" cars.....which is why I went with a Scott Drake "GT" style. It is stiffer than the OEM springs, but not as stiff as most performance handling kits. I built for a spirited weekend warrior with highway and street use, not track. As other stated above, Moog replacement steering and strut rod bushings, 1" sway bar, and and your spring perch, look for a rollar version.

Ehh, I thought it will be simple decision, weekly car = OEM suspension. I am not fun of making car drop (I always wanted to increase clearance :cool: ), but when I start reading linked other suspension thread .. maybe it is sence of doing it :unsure:
What approx final car clearance can I expect ? I dont want to have a problem to get on curb or top in front of each whole on the road. 1" sway bar - means other then OEM (my is ok) ?
What about read suspension after the drop ?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
The 1" Arming/Shelby drop will only yield about 5/8" drop in the car. The benefits of the increased tire contact patch throughout the suspension travel make it a no-brainer though.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,355 Posts
I also used Moog steering, upper and lower control arms, Eaton Improved Handling (GT) springs , 1" sway bar, SD Export brace, Monte Carlo bar. But I used KYG Gas Adjust Shocks and the Shelby Arning drop. I'm happy with the way the car sits and handles, especially in curves. Maybe some day I'll spring for Bilstein or Koni shocks.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts