Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how in the world do you take off the races off of the front hub of a 65 with disk brakes? i've been to various tool and auto stores only to find installation tools but no removal ones. i've tried banging out the outer race with a socket but no dice. help me out!

Rubelle
65 2+2, 289 (early A code), c/r toploader, magna suspension, centerline convo pros

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
You are talking about the race that is inserted inside the hub, no?

It gets driven out by a BFS (Big Fella Socket). Get a bigger hammer. *G*

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
You CANNOT beat it through with a socket. There is a ridge/lip just inside the back of the race.

The way to remove these is with a long punch and do the oppisite side from the inside of the hub. If you look down in the inside of the hub, you will see that ridge/lip that the back of the race is seated against. There will be 2 "releifs" that you can see more of the race. That's where you set the punch and start to tap it out the way it went in.

Use the socket to put the new ones back in, or better yet, grind down the outside of the old races so they slide in and out easily and use them. They will seat well on the edge of the new one and will not damage it.

Hal
Love hard, drive fast, wear your seat belt.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I meant from the inside, going outwards. I usually use a 3/4 or there abouts, and run the socket up against the edge on the inside.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts