Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My passenger side wheel bearing is shot on my 65 Mustang so I’m going to replace both just so I know they’re new. Are bearings pretty much the same these days or are there ones better ones out there that I should get?

·
Premium Member
13,227 Posts
Bearing quality is not the same across the board. The big box parts stores all carry a cheap chinese bearing under their store brand and a better quality bearing such as BCA or Timken although those brands are usually chinese made also.
GT289 is our resident bearing expert and he can fill in the details.

·
Premium Member
5,314 Posts
Timken....that's all I've ever used and that's our preferred bearing at work too.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
I'm about to have an experiment on these. Check back in a few years for results

PS Guess which are made in USA?

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts

·
Registered
37,701 Posts
Made in U.S.A. first choice, Germany or Japan second choice, China last choice.

·
Registered
10,206 Posts
I really don't need to remind you to change the bearing races too, do I?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like timken bearings are the way to go. I'll order a complete front set and some grease! Thanks everyone.

Reactions: rpm

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
Fresh from RockAto. Completely different looks. The national looks like stainless while the Timken looks like gun metal.:geek: The Timken box has "Printed in USA" so I had to open it. on the bearing itself is a USA mark. The National/Federal Mogul is Hecho in Chino. The National dust seal is Fabrique au Mexico. Globalism.

·
Registered
10,123 Posts
Sorry about that... I was calling on a customer.
Pretty much Only two companies manufacture taper roller bearings in the USA now.
NTN and Timken. On vintage apps, Timken is likely to be the easiest to get your hands on as a consumer. For Timken, The older bearings have had their production equipment long ago amortized, so they still are mainly made here in the USA.
I work for the other 100 year old manufacturer. We bought the BCA and Bower names from Federal Mogul when they decided to offshore all their bearings a few years ago. We also bought all their old production facilities in the US. That’a where we make most of our tapers, especially in the HD truck market. Some of our vintage car apps come out of Japan, as NTN is based there.

Both Timken and ours are predominantly case hardened. Everyone else is through hardened. Case hardening is superior for shock loading characteristics without cracking.... unlike through hardened bearings.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry about that... I was calling on a customer.
Pretty much Only two companies manufacture taper roller bearings in the USA now.
NTN and Timken. On vintage apps, Timken is likely to be the easiest to get your hands on as a consumer. For Timken, The older bearings have had their production equipment long ago amortized, so they still are mainly made here in the USA.
I work for the other 100 year old manufacturer. We bought the BCA and Bower names from Federal Mogul when they decided to offshore all their bearings a few years ago. We also bought all their old production facilities in the US. That’a where we make most of our tapers, especially in the HD truck market. Some of our vintage car apps come out of Japan, as NTN is based there.

Both Timken and ours are predominantly case hardened. Everyone else is through hardened. Case hardening is superior for shock loading characteristics without cracking.... unlike through hardened bearings.
I’d much rather support a forum member if I can help it. How does one order through your company?

·
Registered
10,123 Posts
I’d much rather support a forum member if I can help it. How does one order through your company?
How fast do you need them? I could probably get them as samples. Would take awhile.....
Driver's and passenger's sides..... front, 1965 Mustang V8...... correct?
I see some of our distributors have them on eBay.
Outer cone & race WE60757 (otherwise known as SET2 or LM11949/LM11910 or A2)
Inner cone & race WE60709 (otherwise known as SET6 or LM67048/LM67010 or A6)

I checked Country Of Origin. Both of our our WE numbers are made in the USA. I believe
they come out of our plant in Macomb IL.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
Does the hardening process result in a particular end color of the product meaning can you tell what was done by how it looks?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How fast do you need them? I could probably get them as samples. Would take awhile.....
Driver's and passenger's sides..... front, 1965 Mustang V8...... correct?
I see some of our distributors have them on eBay.
Outer cone & race WE60757 (otherwise known as SET2 or LM11949/LM11910 or A2)
Inner cone & race WE60709 (otherwise known as SET6 or LM67048/LM67010 or A6)

I checked Country Of Origin. Both of our our WE numbers are made in the USA. I believe
they come out of our plant in Macomb IL.
I appreciate your offer to help, but if they are available on Ebay then I'll just go ahead and get them there as it'll still support your company in the end. Hopefully, this post will drive others to buying from your company down the road.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I have been a long time TImken wheel bearing user. Have used a few others when I had to. Only had issues with a few bearings over the years. The worst issue I had with one was caused by a poorly made cage. Not sure anymore what brand it was. I did put ebay special bearings on LOMLs PT cruiser. Chrysler used very poor quality bearings from the factory that often failed within a few hundred miles of rolling off the line. Here along with the clutch and slave cylinder and starter died between 24-30K. It has had an additional 100K on it with ebay special parts and no problems as the cheap ones were far superior to the cheese grade parts Chrysler uses.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts