Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i got My 66 Mustang coupe the seals around the vent windows and the seals around the top of the window were pretty dry rotted there was about a 1/4 space above both driver and passenger widows which i attributed to the old seals

After a replaced the seals and adjusted the widows, I could just barely adjust them high enough to touch the seals all adjustments set as high as would allow, is there supposed to be some sort of seal between the chrome and the body of the car or is that the way its supposed to b

is this normal

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,369 Posts
Hard to tell in your pictures, but it looks like your driver door is actually low at the quarter, maybe at the fender too. The windows should come up far enough to rest against the body seal at the top edge and inside edge with just enough tension on the closed door to keep the wind and rain out but it doesn't really sit inside a U-channel like a modern car window with a full frame.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hard to tell in your pictures, but it looks like your driver door is actually low at the quarter, maybe at the fender too. The windows should come up far enough to rest against the body seal at the top edge and inside edge with just enough tension on the closed door to keep the wind and rain out but it doesn't really sit inside a U-channel like a modern car window with a full frame.
Both sides are identical Thanks for the look I’ll have a body shop look at it

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm having a similar issue as your passenger side except my problem is drivers side. The back of the window seems to come up high enough to seal but the front of the window won't wind up high enough. I played with the stops but no joy.

I wondered if it might be an issue with the regulator.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
This video will show you how the windows fit inside the door. It also shows how to set the stops..maybe you just need to adjust the window stops a bit so it will roll up a bit more.

In this picture of yours, it looks like the front of the window does need to come up a bit more. The stainless trim on the glass should line up better to the quarter window stainless.

Reactions: DrVett

·
Premium Member
4,369 Posts
@Evan W and @Uncle Buck Perhaps the vent window frame and thus the front glass run needs to be adjusted to allow it to slide up more.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I changed the the window regulators on both sides they were pretty shot and the division bar for the window slide
as far as the vent window being raised its as high as it can go without actually hitting the car when the door closed

it does actually seal enough to stop the wind noise it just seems about 1/4" low
both doors are identical and you are right its slightly low on the quarter panel side but the fender side is pretty much perfect

the doors are not sagging at all and i see they are the original doors.
they don't seem to run up to the top of the vent widow seals without nudging them up

I wish I had someone nearby with one of these so I can take a look and see how they are supposed for all i know it is normal

thanks for your input

·
Registered
606 Posts
I removed my six movable windows just last month and replaced everything rubber plus the belt line felts and bushings. I also replaced the drip rail gaskets as well as the door seals. I learned in this process that it is best to start at the vent window, get it in the right place relative to the door. Next move to the door window and align it to the vent and the door. Parallelism is the key. Finally do the quarter window.

I recommend NOT doing the window adjustments unless you have new gaskets. If not, the gaskets are hard and not very spongy and "puffy". When they're like that, it is going to require you to raise the windows higher than if the gaskets are bigger and softer.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Here is a pic of my passenger side after a vent window rebuild, fresh glass run and 3 new rollers. I think this side fits pretty well. See the alignment of the stainless is good.

My driver side window sits lower and so far no luck with simple adjustments.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that is pretty much how mine looks and i did replace all the gaskets and I started with the vent window

thanks for the pics

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I want to thank everybody for their input i lubed up the new window tracks with wd-40 ( i used to do the in the 80's when i used to fix Jaguar's and that seemed to do the trick.
door glass 3.jpg
it allowed the window to slide all the way up

1 - 13 of 13 Posts