Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an early 65 coupe that I doesn't have the windshield washers. Was this an upgrade or am I just missing something? Also, can they be added easily? It seems like you would have to drill holes form the top of the inside of the engine compartment into the cowl vent area. Has anybody done this? ::

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Yes, washers were optional. My 65 did not have them as well. There should be holes already in the cowl for the jets. The bag hanger should have dimples in the side panel in the engine compartment on the opposite side of the battery.

Do you have a 2 speed wiper too? Just curious. Since mine is a concours street driven car, it rarely gets driven in conditions that you actually need the washer. Keep it clean and use Rain X and you shouldn't have too many problems.

If it is daily driver, then that's a different story...

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The windsheild washer was an option in '65. You can add it, but it will require obtaining the pump, the reservoir (and hanger if you're doing an original "bag" style resevoir), the hoses, the nozzels, the wire from pump to wiper switch, and a windshield wiper switch with the washer pump switch built into it.

Now the tricky part is that there are single speed, and dual speed wipers. The switch, wiper motor, pump and all related wiring must all match, the parts are not interchangeable from the 1 speed setup to the 2 speed setup.

Last I checked, the 2 speed motor was available in reproduction, the one speed washer pump was available, and no wiper switches were available. Figure that one out. Some of this may have changed, except for the switch.

You'll have to find the switch, and when I was looking for one last winter, couldn't find one ANYWHERE.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
It is an "upgrade", so you aren't missing anything. It's pretty easy. I did it to my car years ago and did the 2 speed wipers at the same time. Just a matter of acquiring the parts and putting them in. As for the holes in the cowl, I know I didn't have to drill any. I believe they are there on every car, just plugged with some strip caulk. The only hole I had to drill was in the firewall for the wire.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
If youre not concours... then jc whitney has a "bag" kit, which is somewhat like the softbag of early fords.

I put one in my car, as the 68's have a non electric motor .. foot pump style.

the kit from jc whitney has an electrical pump, fyi.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts