Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I f---ed up one line trying to get the stupid brake lines off so I decided to replace all of the front brake lines. :: So I got all of them off except the long one that goes from the distribution box thing to the passenger side of the car. I cut it off so I'd only work with the nut. Then I slowly striped the nut. I asked for help and they said to locking wrenches. I did that with no prevail other then making a cylinder out of my nut. I lit a candle and left it under the nut for about a minute or two. Tried with the wrench again and it didn't work. I can get a drill in there to use a screw extractor. WHAT DO I DO! :: I tried taking the whole block distribution block out of the car by removing the 3 other lines. I got 2 of them but the one that runs to the rear brakes won't budge. If I get a long crescent wrench for the rear line, the wrench eventually turns over the nut. :: How do I get the nut out of the destitution block or how do I remove the other break line this is really frustrating. :: :(

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
38 Posts
You didn't say, but I would suggest using tubing wrenches next time. It sounds like it's too late for that. I was successful using vise grips on a stubborn brake line.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
You need to use flare nut wrenches on brake lines. Using a normal wrench isn't a good idea.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
The brake fluid tends to "soften" up the bolts which can be a real PITA. Do you have some PB blaster or liquid wrench? You may want to try one of these and let it soak in for a while. Then I would go at it with a pair of vice-grips. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
2,690 Posts
since you have the lines cut and can work with the nut only go to sears and pick up a set of sockets made for removing stripped nuts and bolts they work great cost is about 19 bucks they come in standard and metric and also impact.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use those but nothing happens I tried taking a hammer with a flare nut wrenches on the nut and hitting the flare nut wrenches so that it should losen it but it didn't work. This liquid wrench do anything? How do I soak it?

-chris

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How does a set of sockets remove a totally striped nut? I got one type where you take a hammer and hit it and it makes a turning motion, but that wouldn't work, so what does yours do?

-chris

·
Premium Member
2,690 Posts
the teeth of the socket are shaped so you get a grip no matter what. i used them for the same purpose you are and they worked great.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I always put a small pipe wrench on them. It works great since it just keeps getting a tigher grip as you put more pressure on it. Then buy a new nut! ::

G

·
0 Posts
I had to use a pair of vise grips...on a couple of the fittings I used a hammer to lightly and sharply tap on the end of the vise grips (kinda like an impact wrench) and the fittings "popped" loose. I intially used Craftsman flare nut wrenches, but the the fittings were so tight, the wrenches started to distort the fitting. Be sure the vise grips are really snug on the fittings.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Yeah the brakelines on an old car can be a PITA. The first time I touched my stang's lines, I tried once with a wrench, then went right to my visegrips. Don't even bother with an adjustable wrench, that'll just cause more problems. Hell, if all else fails, you could just replace all the lines. I'd do it anyway if they were the originals. good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
The PB Blaster works wonders on rusted parts. I'm restoring a 1970 Mach 1 and have already used three cans. My advise is to spray the bolt down the night before, then again in the morning, and once more before you start. This worked wonders on my suspension parts. I did not try to remove my brake lines from the block. I cut them near the bends and took them all out in pieces. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I used Liquid Wrench and brake line wrenches. WIth some patience and muscle (and small taps from a rubber mallet) I was able to get them off. The one that gave me trouble I had to use vise grips. Just be careful with that distrobution block. I priced them the other week and they were more than I expected to pay for a small piece of metal.

TK

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
PB Blaster soaking couple days and propane torch got all my original '68 lines off. make sure you heat only the nut and pop alittle PB Blaster while you are heating - it works down into threads by wicking action. use only line wrenches or forget it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts