Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my project is slower than slow... 14 years.. and today I removed my 3G alternator to have it tested as the volt meter was only showing 11 or so... figured it was not functioning properly. It checked out just fine and the guy told me that it had to be the wiring. I explained i had used the PA replacement box (that replaces the external regulator). He told me there were only two wires necessary... the one from the 12V igniton and the fat one that goes to the battery (+ side of starter solenoid). He suggested i remove the PA box and eliminate all that stuff since im using volt meter anyway... no idiot lights... etc.

So i did and everything works great.... EXCEPT now the damned thing squeals like a stuck pig. Prior to removing the alternator... no squeaks.. reinstalling the alternator in the exact same... squeaks like hell....

AHHHHHHRRRRG.

Checked and double checked... loosened and tightened... made sure all shims were reinstalled exactly as before.. yet something had changed... any brilliant ideas?

:nerd:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
So my project is slower than slow... 14 years.. and today I removed my 3G alternator to have it tested as the volt meter was only showing 11 or so... figured it was not functioning properly. It checked out just fine and the guy told me that it had to be the wiring. I explained i had used the PA replacement box (that replaces the external regulator). He told me there were only two wires necessary... the one from the 12V igniton and the fat one that goes to the battery (+ side of starter solenoid). He suggested i remove the PA box and eliminate all that stuff since im using volt meter anyway... no idiot lights... etc.

So i did and everything works great.... EXCEPT now the damned thing squeals like a stuck pig. Prior to removing the alternator... no squeaks.. reinstalling the alternator in the exact same... squeaks like hell....

AHHHHHHRRRRG.

Checked and double checked... loosened and tightened... made sure all shims were reinstalled exactly as before.. yet something had changed... any brilliant ideas?

:nerd:
Do you run a serpentine belt? The 3Gs dont do so well with a v-belt. Try tightening the belt too.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
V belt. All was fine until i removed/replaced the alt.... arg!

Right now only thing on that motor is the alt...

·
Registered
787 Posts
All was fine before because it was just free spinning. Now that it's charging, there's a lot more drag on the belt. If you're going to run a v-belt, you need to tighten the crap out of that belt. Also, a good quality belt is imperative. I used to use Gatorbacks back in the day. I am not sure if they're still considered a good belt or not.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Exactly as jgrote said. I have a serpentine belt and even I get some squeal sometime if I have a load on the battery/alt as I'm starting the car (electric fan on, engine bay hot, electric fuel pump on, etc). I have to tighten my belt (March tensioner).

I ran a 3G in my old 93 5.0 where I reversed the tensioner (removed power steering, a/c) and that thing squealed bad when the fans would come on. I had to run a March tensioner and have it super tight, but it worked.

I dont think a V-belt set up is really up to the task.

·
Registered
511 Posts
HyePo, if your project is slower than slow at 14 years, then mine is at a glacial pace at almost 31 years. :grin2:
But it's now moving along nicely.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Consider getting a dual v belt setup. I run one so I don't have to tighten the belts so much that I go through water pump bearings. Try charging the battery over night and see if it still squeals. I bet that removing the regulator as you did has the alt running full blast all the time. You might be cooking your battery. Quite simply, with the regulator hooked up, engine off should read 12V at the battery, engine running should be over 13 but less than 14.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is running just over 13 but less than 14.. Alt guy said the regulator is internal to the 3G and the external is not necessary... he said Ford kept everything the same just put it in the alt rather than on radiator support. Hope im not cooking the batt.. that would not be good.

Never considered the “not charging” free spinning... now that it is charging the batt, load is greater make sense.

I’ll have to contact CVF Racing and see what they have for dual alt belt aluminum pulleys.. I also have p/s and air (eventually)

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FIRST I HUMBLY THANK EVERYONE FOR THEIR COMMENTS AND INPUT... THIS FORUM HAS ALWASY BEEN AN INVALUABLE ASSET.

Spoke with CVF Racing.. they have a dual v-grove pulley for the Ford 3G ALTs... so I ordered it. Since this will line up with the second groove that normally would have just ran from the crank to the water and p/s pumps.

In the meantime, i’ll Tighten the crap out of the belt and see if that helps... can’t stand that squeal while working on stuff...

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Just throwing this out there.
Check if, when you put the alternator back on, that the belt didn't end up behind the crank pulley instead of in the V groove. Happened to me once. Squealed like heck 'til i saw my error.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You're doing better than me, I'm at 18 years and just starting to get going this year. Been hauling the 69 Mustang and the 68 Camaro around trying to keep them indoors for 18 years...

·
Registered
603 Posts
Come on, when are we ever "done"? 30 years and counting...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts