Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After returning from a local car show yesterday, my car started running a little rough and died just as I pulled into my parking spot. It would start fine but would not idle at all. I would have to provide a little pedal pressure to keep it running.

I let it sit for a while and started a few times and it still would not idle. I have one of those clear sight glass fuel filters just before the carb. I noticed that it had quite a bit of junk in there for having been replaced just a month ago. So I figured I got some crap from the tank that got sucked up into the fuel line and maybe into the carb.

So I took the car out and romped on it a little, blew the carb and line out real good, and it ran fine after that.

I noticed that while the car idles I can see periods of time when there are alot of bubbles in the glass fuel filter. It kinda bubbles up like champagne for about 10 seconds then goes away for a minute, then bubbles again.

It may have always done that and I just never noticed. I'm just wondering if this is a sign of some problem or if this is ok? Car seems to be running fine now, although I did miss my local Mustang Cruise event last night because I didn't want to be stuck 32 miles from home. :(

·
Registered
333 Posts
It could be the start of a leak in the gas line somewhere, allowing air to be sucked up into the line.That could also explain some of the debris in the glass filter, part of the line breaking down. I had that happen on truck of mine.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info, i have had a troublesome leak at the in-line fuel filter fittings, maybe it is not as fixed as i thought it was. time to yank it and get something better. also might just run all new rubber lines from tank to pump.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Running new fuel line might be a good idea, but I would probably not do it with rubber due to heat in some areas around exhaust. I just did it with aluminum tubing, and it was pretty easy to form. I did it in three parts, connecting them with a small piece of rubber in between, in areas away from exhaust. It could be done in two pieces, or even in one if you are willing to drop the axle, but I didn't think there was reason to go that far. The new sending units came with 3/8" diameter lines, which is something to consider if you are going to redo the fuel lines, especially if you are going to beef up the motor sometime. Anyhow, good luck.

Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts