Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is the scenerio, any help is greatly appreciated...i have a 1965 mustang. my gas gauge will jump to about 5/8 a tank when car is started. there is an after market inline fuel filter installed. the stock fuel filter on the firewall isnt connected, but wires from the dash are still connected to it. i am guessing this is why my gas gauge isnt working properly because its connected to a disconnected fuel filter. i really want to remove this filter and just use my inline one, but i cant figure out where to connect the wires that are connected to the stock fuel filter. any suggestions? i hope my explanation wasnt to confusing...

·
Registered
786 Posts
I don't understand what kind of wires would be attached to a fuel filter. The gas gauge is normally connected to a sending unit mounted inside of the gas tank, and the wire should be visible entering a round thing on your gas tank. Are you sure the wires are going to your gauge from the filter?

Tom

·
6,854 Posts
I don't believe those wires are going to any kind of fuel filter. I'm trying to think what they might be, and I'm not coming up with anything. Please describe what you are seeing on your firewall, so we can figure our what it is. The previous poster is 100% correct. If you look at your gas tank from underneath there is a single wire that goes over a terminal on the sending unit in the tank. I would suggest you replace your sending unit and see if that cures the problem. You could do it without removing the tank, although I've never done it that way myself. I've always had the tank out. I'd suggest you run all the gas out of the tank first, and definitely NO SMOKING while replacing the sendingunit. Otherwise you'll be changing your handle from Ionzo to Iburnso.

Good Luck

Phil

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
out of the blue guess is you may be looking at electric fuel pump some PO installed. your gas gauge can be removed from rear of tank and cleaned up if your sending unit doesn't have leaking float - check by jiggling it and listen for fluid sloshing. i cleaned my wirewound resistor up and checked it then reinstalled it. if you have gas tank with plug it is easy job - if not get little hand pump to drain you gas tank. also be CAREFUL - gas fumes are very volitile and near empty gas tank is more dangerous than full one and you can losse a lot of hair. after empting tank ventilate hell out of it . for anymore recommenstions PM me.
if you want to check gauge remove wire from sending unit on back of tank and ground it to frame - note gas gauge reads full scale. if not you have gauge or wiring problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts