Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Mustang
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I had a small carburetor issue. Which I rebuilt the 2100 on there. I decided to add a fuel filter between the tank and pump after discovering a fuel pump issue as well. It's a fram g12.

I noticed its NOT filling completely. I understand the angle may cause a decent sized bubble, but this doesnt seem right to me.

Does the fuel amount look right to you? Or is this an issue I should be looking deeper into?

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Mustang
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
That should say, It's NOT filling completely.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
From what I've read on here over the years, you want your fuel filter between the pump and the carburetor. The mechanical fuel pumps are better at pushing fuel to the carburetor than they are at pulling fuel from the tank. When you add a fuel filter between tank and pump, the pump is just a little bit more inefficient.

·
Registered
954 Posts
About the only way you get a full filter is if you locate it down along the frame so it's somewhat close to the level of the tank. I have the same issue with my 66 I6 (which I'm going to correct shortly).

·
Registered
66 Mustang
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I need to tune the carb correctly, but started and ran fine today. Was just curious about the fuel level. I wanted to run a filter until I get it completely drained and full with new fuel.

Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I mentioned this to a neighbor that has a 57 Cadillac with a similar problem. There's a filter between the tank and the pump and another between the pump and carb (both are the clear ones). He has limited fuel in the upper filter so I'll try to lower the pump/tank filter to see if this puts more gas in the pump/carb filter.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,290 Posts
I've had those style filters installed before and after the pump and never had one fill up.

Reactions: cturboaddict
1 - 9 of 9 Posts