Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
That was interesting! I need to find non ethanol gas.

Reactions: 2nd 66

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I drive 16 miles one way to get 100% gas. I take the Mustang and as many gas cans as I can fit in the trunk. I have replaced every part of my fuel delivery system due to ethanol going to crap.

Sorry corn farmers its one bad fuel.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
I wouldn't say ethanol or any other type of fuel is a bad fuel, when used in the vehicle it was designed for . The Vintage Mustang was not, so I use non ethanol fuel in them . I also use it in the ATVs, lawn mowers, chainsaws, trimmers and blowers because they were designed for pure gas. The wife's car was designed for use with E -10, E-15, E-85 or whatever but even her car still gets better fuel mileage and delivers more net power with pure gasoline. There's just more stored energy in refined dinosaur juice than fermented corn, ideal for a slower burn. The problem is alcohol of any kind likes to bond with water, so if there's any in the atmosphere and it can get into your gas tank or the open top of a carburetor, the problems begin there.

No Mustang Storage Season here.
I love the smells of a Mustang interior and that old heater core when it's time to ride with the windows up, almost as much as the smells of spring blooms and fresh cut grass when the windows are down.

·
Registered
801 Posts
There are a ton of reasons not to use alcohol in fuel designed for internal combustion engines. It's been considered as an alternative for as long as we've had cars, but there are good reasons why it was never done. Its lower power/density ratio, hygroscopic nature, and eagerness to evaporate are all good reasons not to use it.

There are only three reasons I can think of why it's used that make sense. First, if you have no gasoline. Second, if you absolutely don't care about mileage, alcohol is more highly oxygenated than gasoline, requiring less air per volume of fuel. So, dumping big amounts of alcohol through an engine can deliver big power. And third, it gives the appearance that companies selling gas with added alcohol are trying to create 'clean' fuels that come from readily harvested products.

In reality, it's a dodge. Politicians and big business can look like they're helping farmers and doing something good for the environment. They also make a tremendous amount of money from all the taxation and regulation, bringing alcohol production industry into a partnership with petroleum distillation and distribution. It's not going to wean any country off of oil, and it's a poor idea, IMHO. But it doesn't look like we're going to get rid of it either. The average person doesn't understand or care anything about gas formulation, so long as it's cheap and it works.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I wouldn't say ethanol or any other type of fuel is a bad fuel, when used in the vehicle it was designed for . The Vintage Mustang was not, so I use non ethanol fuel in them . I also use it in the ATVs, lawn mowers, chainsaws, trimmers and blowers because they were designed for pure gas. The wife's car was designed for use with E -10, E-15, E-85 or whatever but even her car still gets better fuel mileage and delivers more net power with pure gasoline. There's just more stored energy in refined dinosaur juice than fermented corn, ideal for a slower burn. The problem is alcohol of any kind likes to bond with water, so if there's any in the atmosphere and it can get into your gas tank or the open top of a carburetor, the problems begin there.
While not wanting to say so, you make a pretty good argument for ethanol being a bad fuel:

1.) Lower mileage, even in cars designed for it.
2.) Hygroscopic nature (likes to absorb water). This is particularly bad for fuel systems were ethanol is allowed to sit for an extended period of time, regardless of engine design.

BTW, nothing against farmers, my in-laws are farmers.

Reactions: Grimbrand

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
While not wanting to say so, you make a pretty good argument for ethanol being a bad fuel:

1.) Lower mileage, even in cars designed for it.
2.) Hygroscopic nature (likes to absorb water). This is particularly bad for fuel systems were ethanol is allowed to sit for an extended period of time, regardless of engine design.

BTW, nothing against farmers, my in-laws are farmers.
Where would we be without ethanol for racing applications? It isn't nearly the issue in modern sealed fuel systems. It burns hot and it burns relatively clean. Makes a pretty good source for certain heating and lighting conditions, and a good source of initial ignition when a primary system takes over. You can blow stuff up with it. And if it's well refined, ethanol can be pretty good for drinking, I hear. Trouble comes when people drink too much, especially if they decide to go blow stuff up after...:grin2:

Maybe not the best fuel, but not a bad fuel in a system designed for it.

I can put JP-5 or veggie-diesel in my F-250. Neither are bad for it, but it was designed for a certain grade of diesel I can readily obtain. My truck is a little modified and I have the best results with a blend. It's all a trade-off.

Reactions: Grimbrand

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
^^^ I have replaced too many small engine carburetors and the fuel tank, line, pump, filter and rebuilt the carb... twice, in the Mustang thanks the gunk from ethanol blends. It may "work" for new daily drivers as it does in my Toyota, but it is a fuel of last resort for any small engine in my fleet. It would only go in the Mustang as a splash to get me to the station with the good stuff. :)

The picture the OP provided is similar to what I have found.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
^^^ yep. All my power equipment is Stihl and ethanol is a no-no if you want anything like that to last. I use non-ethanol 91 or above in that stuff, my Mustangs and the kids ATVs.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I've seen people put plastic on their couches, or even on their car seats to keep them looking new. I've never seen anyone put plastic on the whole car before though.

Its one of the worst ideas I've ever had, the paint took a serious beating that year. I do not recommend it, it locks moisture against the paint.

One good thing about Holleys is the bowls vent to air so the bowls evaporate out before damage is done. I do wonder what my electric fuel pump looks like inside now...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts