Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of s restoration and I have a question about the fuel gauge of my '68

Which of these two images are 'FULL'
Image 1:
IMG_7312.JPG
Image 2:
IMG_7445.JPG

I tend to think the fuel gauge has four lines E, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and F. and that the space to the right and left (up to F and down to E) are just empty space.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I can't say how it SHOULD be, but on my 68 it's more like your Image 2 when it's full, and when it gets to the line to the right of E it still has 4 gallons or so in the tank.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Neither one. Number one is 3/4 full and number 2 is almost full. The space between the letters and the first hash mark equals 1/4 tank. When the needle is on the first hash mark to the left of the F, you have used 1/4 tank of gas. When it is on the hash mark to the right of the E, you have 1/4 of a tank left. This is sorta like common core math.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
I'm guessing the first one is empty because of a fuel sender change.
I was going to say: Trick question. Fuel sender replaced so no one has any idea how much gas is in it.

Reactions: DrHawkeye

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Neither one. Number one is 3/4 full and number 2 is almost full. The space between the letters and the first hash mark equals 1/4 tank. When the needle is on the first hash mark to the left of the F, you have used 1/4 tank of gas. When it is on the hash mark to the right of the E, you have 1/4 of a tank left. This is sorta like common core math.
LOL - can't believe there's a debate on this.

Pic #1 is full. Gauge is divided into four equal sections. First heavy line is "empty", thin hash is 1/4 tank - etc.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My restoration guy talked to his "fuel gauge guy".. (yes... he literally has a "fuel gauge guy") who will calibrate the fuel gauge with the sender. He said "...anything on either side of the marks up to E-F is a factory margin that they built in".

So it seems picture #1 is correct, and I tend to agree with that.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
LOL - can't believe there's a debate on this.

Pic #1 is full. Gauge is divided into four equal sections. First heavy line is "empty", thin hash is 1/4 tank - etc.
OK, I can see how it can be read like that. I'm used to F and E being on the lines, and the heavy lines between them being the 1/4s.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
If it's anything like mine, 3/4 is full and 1/4 is stuck on the side of the road.
LOL - true indication of an aftermarket sender. My first one had the outlet tube facing the rear of the car, 180* out...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts