Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i recently brought a 67 mustang
The fuel gauge doesnt read above half
So i did some research and seen if ya ground the sender unit wire and the gauge reads full (which it did) ..its a bad sender unit
So i replaced the fuel sender unit filled the tank right up and still only reads to half way
It works from half down
Any ideas on what to do next thanks

·
Registered
998 Posts
I had a similar issue. I first performed the grounding test as you described with a full tank reading, but was still only getting a half tank reading with a full tank. With the sending unit removed from the tank, keep it plugged into the harness and run a ground wire. Set the sending unit to 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, full settings, and confirm that your fuel gauge has the appropriate reading each time, If all looks good, as @cmefly mentioned, you will have to bend the float arm to compensate. I ended up getting a Spectra Premium sending unit for my 65, and it was initially about 15% off on its readings so I ended up bending the arm to compensate for a more accurate reading when near empty.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Since your gauge works on a resistance value, I'd check the sending unit to see what it's values for full, 1/2 and empty. If you have a stock/original gauge, they have a listed resistance chart.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts