Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my fuel gauge was hardly leaving the "E" position ever. So I got a new fuel sender installed, and after filling the fuel tank, the gauge promptly went to the proper "F" position.

Now, I have driven about 50 mi. since, and the gauge is alredy below the 1/2 mark.

Im afraid that it still dosent work all that properly, as I usually get about 200mi out the 16 gallons... . So it shouldnt be much lower than the 3/4 mark.

To make things short, is that a typical thing to be seen on all 37 year old Stangs, or does the gauge actually work somewhat precisly for some of you? ::
I know that these gauges are usually a bit off, but thats a tad too much for my taste... . :(

·
Registered
467 Posts
I feel your pain. I haven't replaced anything with my gauge or sending unit, but when I fill up Louise 100% my guage only goes about 3/4 full. It then drops like a stone to 1/2 and to 1/4, then stays there. The last 1/4 tank looks about accurate, which is the most important anyways, so I haven't fooled with it. I know other classic car guys who have problems with gauge accuracy as well. A lot of them added aftermarket gauges and it seemed to help.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The secret is in the float. Most Ford sending units hav a brass looking float that attaches to the sending unit. My daughter used to have a Pinto. I went to the Ford dealer to try and get a new sending unit. They didn't have it, but they told me the float is something they stock. If you don't change the float, it will start taking on gas and not "Floating" like it should. The Pinto float was less than $5 and worked great. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
How is your Oil PSI and H2O temp? Mine seems accurate. Might want to make sure you have 5.5 volts comming through the CVR behind the dash. You can also measure the ohms of resistance at the gas tank sending unit. Sould be close to 75 ohms when empty and 12 ohms when full. One more thing, the gagues are adjustable. There are two holes in the back of the gague where you can adjust where the neddle points. You just need a small flat tipe screw driver. Same goes for temp and Oil PSI. I would be carfull adjust the gauges. Good luck :)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, the old brass float had fuel it it. The new sending unit is repop with a "nice" plastic float. ::

As for adjusting the gauges. Well, I guess Ill have a look at the resistance first, before messing up the gauges...! ;)

Thanks for the advice guys! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts