Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard a rumor a little while back that there might be a fuel injection kit available for the 289, anyone know if this is true and if so where I can get it? I have a 2 barrel and am getting awful gas mileage (about 14 mpg.) Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,702 Posts
There are numerous EFI setups for the small block Ford.

Edelbrock, Imagine Injection, Hilborn, Holley

I know a guy that can adapt just about any manifold for EFI.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I believe Edelbrock makes a throttle body fuel injection setup, for lotsa money of course. I too have a 289 with a 2 bbl, and get 20 mpg on the highway with 3.25 rear gear and a better than stock cam. Perhaps there are other reasons for your low mileage.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Edelbrock's EFI is multi-point, not throttle body. 1966conv is in the midst of getting his dialed in.

A well tuned 289 should be pulling down 18-20 mpg with appropriate gearing. Sounds like the original poster may have some tuning issues. While the EFI would solve those, it is the expensive way out at $2200-2400.

Jegs & Summit both carry the Edelbrock under part #3521.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually Edelbrock has both. An older TBI kit and the MPFI kit. The TBI kit is much cheaper, but not near as cool.

When you look at the fact that the MPFI kit comes with the dizzy, computer, wiring harness and fuel pump, thats a pretty substantial kit. Its not inexpensive, but certainly fully featured.

Oops, sorry. Holley has both systems, not Edelbrock. The TBI system is about $800.00 and the MPFI is about $3000 without a distributor and may not fit older blocks. The literature is unclear.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys. My dad brought the car to get tuned up recently. Maybe the guy tuned it up wrong, it recently stalled on me after going about 10 mi. and apparently flooded. Any ideas for fixing this problem? Before the car was garaged about 1.5 yrs ago, I was getting about 16-18 mpg. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
11,702 Posts
If it flooded while running you should check float levels.

If it sat dry for 1.5 years the carb prolly should be rebuilt as the rubber seals and seats will be unhappy having been dry all that time.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can bolt on a newer (87-93) ford EFI setup. You may be able to find one from a junkyard for cheap. Do a search on fuel injection and you'll find a bunch of stuff. Good Luck!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I'm pretty sure you can bolt on a newer (87-93) ford EFI setup. You may be able to find one from a junkyard for cheap. Do a search on fuel injection and you'll find a bunch of stuff. Good Luck!

<hr></blockquote>

My understanding is that you can bolt on the modern EFI but there are some water jacket differences between the head and the intake. Also, you have to fix the firing order difference by changing the cam or the wiring.

My big problem is that I can't get the local salvage yard to sell me a whole EFI setup since he can get more money selling the parts to guys who can't pass smog.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts