1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Is it MAF or speed-density? Could be both on an 88. The price ain't bad.

·
Registered
12,215 Posts
I'm doing it myself, so I'd say go for it. Fuel is a pain though. Probably need a lot of other small things that are bankrupting me (Throttle cable, o2 sensors, etc, etc).

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gotstang said:
Is it MAF or speed-density?
Is there a preference for one or the other?

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
That is speed density. Mass air is preferred because it accepts other modifications easily where speed density isn't so welcome.

·
Registered
12,215 Posts
well the main concern is cam duration I believe... but there are plenty of SD cams out there.. I have SD at the moment, and someone put a B cam in so I dunno.. thats a close one.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
JohnnyK said:
I'm doing it myself, so I'd say go for it. Fuel is a pain though. Probably need a lot of other small things that are bankrupting me (Throttle cable, o2 sensors, etc, etc).
Yes, it is a pain...or could be. Initially decided on EFI and obtained about everything needed. Interest waned, time, know how, cam prob, etc. so ended up with a 600 Edelbrock on my HO. If the car runs as I hope, plan to drive it through winter(S.Fl.) and maybe tackle it when hot weather returns(AC in garage). Doing it with V-belts will allow an easier, quicker install. Ron Morris has pic of a 67 with EFI and v-belts. Ron's comment was that serpentine looks better at car shows but doesn't affect use at all.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Let me know if you plan on doing this conversion. I live up in Camas and if you want to take a look at what is involved let me know. I have the car at the body shop so you would be able to see everything easily. Open invitation if you would like. I agree with JohnnyK that the fuel system was the most time consuming part of the conversion.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

·
Registered
12,215 Posts
If 'anyone' tried the EFI conversion and gave up and still has some parts, I'll buy the O2 sensors off you for a discounted price! ;)

·
Registered
12,215 Posts
And I had another thread awhile ago, for the fuel system, if I run into some money before I attempt to fuel it up, I think I'm going to get a little square sump welded onto the bottom of the tank with an output there, and plug the sending unit output, therefore eliminating the need for a surge tank or two pumps. SHould be the simplest way I would think.

As mine sits, I just have a high pressure pump sitting beside the tank, and that is all.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Ive been running this EFI setup since 2003 on my 65 coupe. First with a 425hp aluminum head 331 and now with a stock 95 GT motor. I run 1 BBK inline fuel pump with a return, no surge tank and no pump in the fuel tank. Ive have NEVER had a fuel issue.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really appreciate everyone commemts. Of the two craigslist ads referenced here, the first one hasn't answered additional questions and the second one the email gets bounced back.

But thanks to you guys I know more about EFI now.
Thanks

·
Registered
12,215 Posts
Hey, I know more now as well.

Lightening: You've never had problems with the stock tank, stock pickup, and an external inline fuel pump? How low have you let the fuel get?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts