Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 65 mustang with a 289 is not getting fuel. I disconnected the line from the fuel pump to the carb and nothing squirts out when I try to start the car. I then disconnected the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump and there is only a drip that comes out of it. I thought there would be more of a flow. Oh yes and by the way there is gas in the gas tank. So, what do I do next.

thanks

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
1,121 Posts
Replace fuel pump. I assume this was working before?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I would not replace the fuel pump until after you get fuel flowing out of the input line. Have you traced that line all the way back to the sending unit in the tank? I have a filter in that line back at the tank. So the first thing I would suspect would be that filter. Remove the input line closer to the tank and see if you have fuel flowing from it. There is a filter (sock) on the pickup inside the tank. If that is stopped up, then you'll need to siphon the gas from the tank before removing the sending unit. You'll see what I mean when you look at the location of the sending unit at the bottom of the tank.

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
Or you may have a drain plug on the corner of the tank. Has it been sitting long?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I recently had the same problem in my '66 and discovered that the filter/sock in the tank had slipped down on the outlet tube so far that it was blocking the tube. I put a hose clamp on it to hold it in place. Replacing the filter is another, perhaps better, option.

·
Registered
37,811 Posts
Do you have enough fuel in the tank? Do you have a source of compressed air? I like to disconnect the hose at the fuel pump and stick in a drain pan then remove the fuel cap, place my hand over the opening and stick a blow gun between my fingers and give the tank a shot of air... fuel should then start flowing from the line if it's below the level of the tank itself. If it does, then stops, the sock may be covered with "fuel snot". Drain the tank, remove the sender and clean/replace the sock.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did replace the sending unit/float about 2 years ago and I remember the sock that goes inside the tank. Having said that, over the last several months, the car has struggled starting, to the point I have to spray starter fluid in the carb to get it going and then the car would run. I hope in the next few days to remove the fuel lines and blow air through the line to see if it is clear and then I will check the sock as well.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update

Yesterday I disconnected the fuel line from the fuel tank to the fuel pump and used an alternate fuel line from a gas can and the motor did not start. Today I replaced the fuel pump and the car started right up. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts