Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The root of the stumbling/engine shutdown was the fuel line (gas tank-to-pump). There were two places w/crimps. I'm certain these crimped areas were the cause of the problems. I highly recommend using the 2-piece line instead of the 1-piece line. The ONLY sane way for installing a 1-piece line is dropping the rear axle, and removing the driveshaft, transmission and engine (as per 67Delilah). The big PITA hint was removing the original(?) line. The artists w/tube cutters and bending tools can fabricate their own. I tried bending w/a cheap tool and merely added to my frustration. Dirty and aching but ready for the next project. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Not sure of your entire story but I would peek into the tank while you have the lines dry. Bro in law has a '62 galaxy we were having all sorts of trouble with where it would die on the road. I replaced the fuel filter and some fuel line and looked unsuccessfully for a new gas tank...it helped for a while...later another fuel filter and no help...mechanic put in new points, fuel line, fuel pump, rebuilt carb and it does the same thing. He now has a gas tank on the way as the rust is clogging the filters and filling the screen thus starving the car for fuel. Man I hope this works.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the heads up. I replaced the tank months ago. Each component has been replaced or rebuilt except the fuel pump eccentric.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts