Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this has been asked before, please forgive me, but is there a ryhme or reason for the routing of the fuel pump to carb fuel line? Most I have seen are routed in front of the distributor and have a small bracket attached to one of the water pump bolts. Mine runs behind the distributor with no bracket. I've seen both type offered as replacements, so I'm sure there are others out there. My car is a 64 1/2, D-code 289, with an April 14 or 15, 1964 manufacture date. I have read through Bob Mannels book but did not see it addressed. There is a LOT of information in that book though, so I could have easily missed it. Thanks.

John

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
If your original fuel line clip attached to a water pump bolt (1964 model), then the fuel line would run in front of the distributor. In 65, the fuel line clip attached to the timing cover and the fuel line routed behind the distributor.

In other words, I would expect your fuel line to run in front of the distributor.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Mannel

Look on page 4-35 of Mr. Mannel's book, bottom left, figure a.
Then compare that to page 5-25, figures g and h.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My (non-original) fuel pump is like the one labeled as a 1964 model in picture b on page 5-25 of Bob Mannel's book; yet my fuel line runs behind the distributor as it should for a 1965. Judging from what I've seen and read then, since my car is an early, April '64 produced car, the fuel line should probably run in front of the distributor? Also, for the early pumps, are they serviceable by removing the screws and replacing the diaphram? My is starting to leak and will need to be serviced or replaced before driving it this summer.

Thanks for the help.

John

·
Registered
205 Posts
My (non-original) fuel pump is like the one labeled as a 1964 model in picture b on page 5-25 of Bob Mannel's book; yet my fuel line runs behind the distributor as it should for a 1965. Judging from what I've seen and read then, since my car is an early, April '64 produced car, the fuel line should probably run in front of the distributor? Also, for the early pumps, are they serviceable by removing the screws and replacing the diaphram? My is starting to leak and will need to be serviced or replaced before driving it this summer.

Thanks for the help.

John
John,
You defently need to route in front of the distributor as stated above. The good thing about the 64 style fuel pump is yes indeed they can be rebuilt because they screw together. NPD has the kit 9349-1

·
Registered
5 Posts
Another major change was the use of the new "Load-A-Matic" distributor, which was driven off the front of the engine, but through a shaft mounted vertically at right angle to the axis of the engine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Another major change was the use of the new "Load-A-Matic" distributor, which was driven off the front of the engine, but through a shaft mounted vertically at right angle to the axis of the engine.
Huh??

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
way off base on that one. the 'load o matic' was only used on six cylinder engines. he needs to read bob's book. no ford engine of that time period was configured that way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts