Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

New to the forum, cant find a post on this so hope you can help.

I have a 1965 fastback that I recently bought from a guy that assured me the car is in tip top shape.....and now the gremlins start.

My fuel line is "flattened" in a few places. Think it was during the installation to make it fit, can tell for sure.

My question is. The car is running but every time you put your foot down it almost chokes and it struggles to idle. Can it be this bend fuel line? Can I fix it or is it time to break the bank agian?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Welcome.

While flattened a bit, it does not look pinched off. I expect the issue is in the carb. To better direct you to a potential solution it would be helpful to know what carb is on it.

·
Registered
36,825 Posts
The photos are really too close up to be sure of the details, but I see nothing that looks like correct stock routing. Even if the problem turns out to be the carburetor, I'd replace the fuel line.

Reactions: zray

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply guys. Its a demon 4 barrel carburetor. It does idle so as you say dont think its pinched anywhere.

Routing is a bit odd for sure!

·
Premium Member
13,972 Posts
It looks to me like it's nearly pinched closed. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the cause of your fuel starvation.
And what's up with those ugly welds on what appears to be a shock tower?

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I don't know why a fuel line will break the bank, but OK. I would replace it. There is not enough time between when you punch it and the sputtering for the fuel bowl to empty, so I am going to say the carb needs tuning. This, BTW, is the most common issue matching your description as numerous people slap a new carb on a motor and call it 'done.' Go back to initial settings on the carb after the motor gets warm. Then tune as suggested by manufacturer. If you cannot get it to idle at initial settings, look for a vacuum leak. I've seen plenty of 'adjusted' carbs with the throttle plates opened more than should be for idle which then bypasses the idle circuit all together.
Also, check for rust coming from the tank. It will look like brown dust and will screw up the operation of your carb in a hurry. The spin on gas filter housing on the bottom of the fuel pump will have this at the bottom if present. Be sure to have a new o-ring ready for reinstall. They seldom go back on if there's any age to them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. The fuel tank is new, so ill start replacing everything that seems old and tierd from there forward including this bend fuel line.

I referred to "breaking the bank" as a joke knowing that it wouldn't stop at the fuel line.

·
Registered
38,621 Posts
The car is running but every time you put your foot down it almost chokes and it struggles to idle. Can it be this bend fuel line?
Almost certainly not. Even if that bend WAS restricting fuel flow, there would be a float bowl in the carburetor full of fuel when you "put your foot down" and the "bog" would occur much later once the fuel in the bowl was used up and not being replenished as fast as it was used. Your issue is probably related to state of tune....either ignition timing or carburetor "calibration" (jets/power valve/accelerator pump/secondary operation, etc.).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fuel line does not look kinked so that is probably not the cause of the carb running the way it is. What Demon carb are you running? It seems, from what you are saying, that when you punch the accelerator the engine just bogs down and then when it recovers it almost dies. This most probably is carb or ignition related, but there may be other causes, like a big cam with a stock converter and incorrect gearing, that aggravates everything else. Could you provide more info on the engine, trans, and rear end?

Things to check now would be to see that the accelerator pump circuit is working correctly. With the engine off, air cleaner off, look at the top of the carburetor and make sure that when you manually open the throttle, you see 2 fat squirts of gas going into the primary throttle bores of the carburetor. As soon as you start moving the throttle, you should see fuel squirting out of the accelerator pump discharge nozzles, if there is a delay, or no fuel is coming out, you will need to either adjust it or fix it.

Check your timing, if the timing is retarded you can get a bog on acceleration. when checking your timing make sure that as you rev the engine the timing is advancing. Many a time the advance gets rusted and stuck, and you get no advance.

Also check all vacuum hoses to make sure you have no vacuum leaks.

All of this is easy to do and you may just find your problem easily.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Woodchuck and 71projectjunk! Thanks for your good imput guys and the time to reply!! That makes allot of sence and im sure ill find the problem there. Hopefully I get time on the weekend to fiddel around, will keep you posted

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys please help.I found the problem as you guys put ke on the right path. The floats on my Demon carburetor are not adjusted correctly, however I now found that all the gaskets are about to breathe their last. Its a old demon carburetor( pre holly take over)and
Im a little unsure. Its got the 6 ontop and from what I can see its a 650 street demon. Holly is not replying so please help

A link to the correct renew/rebuld gasket ect kit will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just fyi for the critical eye. The first is a pic I got of the net just to show the full unit for better understanding, the second and third pic is off my carburetor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Woodchuck youre a star!! Thank you so much. The Holley guy eventually replied with the exact same answer. Just placed my oreder

1 - 15 of 15 Posts