Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the borgenson power steering pump and saw that the fue line the power steering pump was awfully close, for clearance reasons I was wondering which fuel line could I buy to reroute the line from the fuel pump to the carb with any clearance issues. Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
Welcome to VMF!
What year, engine, and carb are you running ?
We love pics here...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to VMF!
What year, engine, and carb are you running ?
We love pics here...
1965, 289, and a Holley 670 street avenger.
You can see where the hard line from the fuel pump is right against the power steering pump. (Car is a work in progress)

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
Looks to me like you'd benefit from the 65 to 66 style pump line that would actually pass under the pump, is secured by a clip on the water pump, and there are versions that run in front of and behind the distributor...thing is, they are designed for the Autolite carbs with a passenger side fuel inlet. The 65 style has a threaded end that went straight to the carb because the filter is a cartridge inside a cannister under the pump (much better filtration) and the 66 has a flared end for a small hose with 2 small clamps that connect the line to a filter that screws into the carb. You could get either one and adapt it to fit your existing line, or just bend / make a new one out of mild steel brake line or stainless. The best safety tip and trick to helping prevent some heat issues is to use all steel line and no rubber or as little as possible.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Here you can see the fuel line @myfirstcar66 is talking about on a 65. I just replaced this carb and had to cut the end to replace it with a few inches of rubber hose to adapt it to a new Summit 560. As mentioned, I was able to avoid the filter since it's integral with the pump, not inline like other carbs or years. You can get this fuel line from NPD.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
It's all connected but too close or touching the PS pump? Is that correct?

I'm cheap and lazy. I would try one of two things first.

1. Evaluate if I could make one bend a little sharper and the next bend a little looser and give it a little slant over there...
2. Or, Take a couple inches of rubber fuel hose slice it up one side and wrap it around the steel line. Create a little rubber bumper between em. Looks like they are close enough you would not need a hose clamp or ?? to hold it there. It would just be pinched in there.

Then consider spending more cash to replace something that pretty much works.

Reactions: Cody_O

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here you can see the fuel line @myfirstcar66 is talking about on a 65. I just replaced this carb and had to cut the end to replace it with a few inches of rubber hose to adapt it to a new Summit 560. As mentioned, I was able to avoid the filter since it's integral with the pump, not inline like other carbs or years. You can get this fuel line from NPD.

Do you have a part number for that line? I’d be on a blind search if I tried to find it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts