Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been reading some postings here recently about replacing the fuel pump to carb fuel hose with a fuel line. I found the fuel feed line that will help provide more clearance for my air filter.
I think the one I need is this one since I have an Edelbrock carb:

I’m confused what diameter line to buy and where to find the fittings to connect the line to the fuel feed line that is connected to the carb. Can someone point me in the right direction? Is 3/8” tubing the correct diameter??

Thanks!
Rob

·
VMF Ambassador
6,894 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong in my assumption of what you want, but you want a simple hard line that connects your carburetor to your fuel pump without any rubber, yes? If that's the case, I can tell you that that line will not totally solve whatever issue you are trying to fix. Although the 5/8" end should hook up to your carb, you will still need to deal with the -6AN fitting on the other end and making up a line to attach that to the fuel pump. So you buy that... and then you buy the parts needed to make a fuel line.

As an alternative, you can just make one fuel line since you will need the same parts for it anyways (unless you are dead set on the banjo at the carb, in which case, yes, you will need the line you linked plus another line that you make to connect to the fuel pump). You should be able to replace the barb inlet with a -6AN inlet (using a fitting like this Edelbrock Carburetor Inlet Fittings 8087). Then, get a coil of 3/8" fuel line, bend it to the contour that you want, and install -6AN tube nuts on the end to mate up with the -6AN inlet on your carb. As far as the fuel pump side of the line goes, there are fuel pump outlet barb adapters that can convert your fuel pump barb into a -6AN fitting, which you can then also connect to your hard line.

Or to save yourself the trouble, you can flare the end of the hard line, then use a small section of hose to connect the hard line barb to the fuel pump barb, and be done with it. Since you are running low fuel pressure with a carb, there is really not a lot of a reason to go all -AN hard line - having a small bit of hose to connect pieces will be fine IMO.

Reactions: Mustang4SF

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correct me if I'm wrong in my assumption of what you want, but you want a simple hard line that connects your carburetor to your fuel pump without any rubber, yes? If that's the case, I can tell you that that line will not totally solve whatever issue you are trying to fix. Although the 5/8" end should hook up to your carb, you will still need to deal with the -6AN fitting on the other end and making up a line to attach that to the fuel pump. So you buy that... and then you buy the parts needed to make a fuel line.

As an alternative, you can just make one fuel line since you will need the same parts for it anyways (unless you are dead set on the banjo at the carb, in which case, yes, you will need the line you linked plus another line that you make to connect to the fuel pump). You should be able to replace the barb inlet with a -6AN inlet (using a fitting like this Edelbrock Carburetor Inlet Fittings 8087). Then, get a coil of 3/8" fuel line, bend it to the contour that you want, and install -6AN tube nuts on the end to mate up with the -6AN inlet on your carb. As far as the fuel pump side of the line goes, there are fuel pump outlet barb adapters that can convert your fuel pump barb into a -6AN fitting, which you can then also connect to your hard line.

Or to save yourself the trouble, you can flare the end of the hard line, then use a small section of hose to connect the hard line barb to the fuel pump barb, and be done with it. Since you are running low fuel pressure with a carb, there is really not a lot of a reason to go all -AN hard line - having a small bit of hose to connect pieces will be fine IMO.
Thanks for replying Kelly! Correct - I would like to replace my existing line between the carb and fuel pump to remove as much rubber as possible. I fortunately do not have any issues yet with my setup... but I would like to replace it before it causes a fire.

I'm not sure if I need the banjo setup... I was just looking at using it because it was all I had seen. The current setup does interfere with my drop base air cleaner... so I may need the banjo setup to clear it. I might be able to get away with the adapter you linked to if I make a quick 90 turn downwards. I'll try to check on how much clearance I need later today.

It looks like the fuel pump already has an adapter converting it to -6AN, so I probably will try to bend a line all the way down there. I have AC on my car... so that's going to be quite a bit of work to bend around=\

Thanks also for clarifying that the connector I need is called a tube nut. i wasn't sure what to search for...
Rob

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I can see where you need to do something with your line to carb connection. If you have to use 4 clamps, you might be using the wrong size rubber hose. A carb engine and manual fuel pump don't really justify all hard line as the inline pressures aren't that big. I guess it's a matter of preference rather that necessity.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,894 Posts
Looking at how your carb is set up, a banjo fitting will require that you route your fuel line to the back of your engine instead of the front. It will cause the line to run directly parallel to the carb body and you don't have the space for that going to the front.

You could, however, probably find a 45* 5/8-20 to -6AN fitting, and that would work great to help angle the line down.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi rhough - I used a similar Edelbrock part # 8134 - it came w/ a filter - then I bent solid 3/8” line the rest of the way down to the fuel pump. It was a bit of a pain, but came out nice up top - a few partial kinks at the bottom end but no leaks. The banjo bolt fitting clears my air cleaner easily. Good luck -

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can see where you need to do something with your line to carb connection. If you have to use 4 clamps, you might be using the wrong size rubber hose. A carb engine and manual fuel pump don't really justify all hard line as the inline pressures aren't that big. I guess it's a matter of preference rather that necessity.
I might give the hardline route a go and see how hard it is. If it is a nightmare, then I’ll probably end up with rubber. I can see what you are saying about the pressure being low.

Looking at how your carb is set up, a banjo fitting will require that you route your fuel line to the back of your engine instead of the front. It will cause the line to run directly parallel to the carb body and you don't have the space for that going to the front.

You could, however, probably find a 45* 5/8-20 to -6AN fitting, and that would work great to help angle the line down.
Are you thinking the banjo piece would interfere with the electric choke and linkage?
I did see some 90* 5/8-20 to -6AN that might work. Any reason to go 45* instead of 90?

Hi rhough - I used a similar Edelbrock part # 8134 - it came w/ a filter - then I bent solid 3/8” line the rest of the way down to the fuel pump. It was a bit of a pain, but came out nice up top - a few partial kinks at the bottom end but no leaks. The banjo bolt fitting clears my air cleaner easily. Good luck - View attachment 752426
View attachment 752429
This looks very nice! Thanks for sharing!

·
VMF Ambassador
6,894 Posts
Are you thinking the banjo piece would interfere with the electric choke and linkage?
I did see some 90* 5/8-20 to -6AN that might work. Any reason to go 45* instead of 90?

This looks very nice! Thanks for sharing!
No, actually, after seeing how that piece with the banjo routes under Brex's carb, it looks like that piece would probably work really well for you. I hadn't envisioned it looping under the carb but that looks like it is exactly how it's supposed to go! So I think it would be fine. You'd still need to make up your second line, of course, to connect the end of the banjo piece and the fuel pump, but the way that piece hugs the carb and goes underneath it adjacent to the intake looks like it would work for your air cleaner clearance problems very neatly.

A 90* fitting would also work fine and allow you to use the same routing as the piece you linked initially, then continue on on whatever path you need to take to get down to the fuel pump. If you used a 90* fitting and routed it this way, then you would be able to clear your air cleaner in the same way but you would not have to have two separate lines (the banjo piece and the separate hard line you fabricate).

However, the benefit to using that banjo part and fabricating a second line to connect to the fuel pump is that you could put a fuel filter inline at the junction between the two, as Brex's photos show. Depending on what other fuel filters you may have inline between the tank and carb, this may be the best strategy. You do not want grit in your carb, obviously! But if you've got another filter down the line, it may be something you can omit up here on top of the intake.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, actually, after seeing how that piece with the banjo routes under Brex's carb, it looks like that piece would probably work really well for you. I hadn't envisioned it looping under the carb but that looks like it is exactly how it's supposed to go! So I think it would be fine. You'd still need to make up your second line, of course, to connect the end of the banjo piece and the fuel pump, but the way that piece hugs the carb and goes underneath it adjacent to the intake looks like it would work for your air cleaner clearance problems very neatly.

A 90* fitting would also work fine and allow you to use the same routing as the piece you linked initially, then continue on on whatever path you need to take to get down to the fuel pump. If you used a 90* fitting and routed it this way, then you would be able to clear your air cleaner in the same way but you would not have to have two separate lines (the banjo piece and the separate hard line you fabricate).

However, the benefit to using that banjo part and fabricating a second line to connect to the fuel pump is that you could put a fuel filter inline at the junction between the two, as Brex's photos show. Depending on what other fuel filters you may have inline between the tank and carb, this may be the best strategy. You do not want grit in your carb, obviously! But if you've got another filter down the line, it may be something you can omit up here on top of the intake.
I don't currently have a fuel filter anywhere, so adding one does seem like a good idea. I think I will give that banjo piece a try. I guess we will see this weekend whether I really end up bending the fuel line or if I capitulate and add some runner sections in... thanks again for the help Kelly!
Rob

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
My recommendation for a hard-line set-up from pump to carburetor is as follows:

With the Edelbrock/Carter AVS carburetor using a banjo fitting use the Edelbrock 8131 when using a '66-style fuel pump or the 81263 when using a '65-style fuel pump with integral canister filter. Use a -6AN to 5/16IVF (inverted flare female) adapter to connect the line to a standard "65-style" "pump-to-carb" hard line.

When using an Autolite 2100/2150/4100/4300/4350 use a WIX33081 fuel filter when using a '66-style fuel pump and a '65-style hard line. The standard '65-style fuel pump with integral canister filter and '65-style hard line uses no rubber adapter hose.

When using a Holley or Summit carburetor, use the GM-style bronze or paper fuel inlet filters that go under the carburetor inlet adapters. Depending on which type (single or dual-feed) and brand (Holley, Mr. Gasket, Spectra, sum-ting-wong) inlet line you are using will determine what type of adapter you might need to connect to the '65+ style" OE hard line. An inlet line with a 1/2-20 inverted flare would be preferred as it would match the 5/16" hard line... otherwise an adapter to 1/2-20 aka 5/16IVF (inverted flare female) would be required.

Note that in all cases, the '65-style hard line is used as it has inverted flare fittings on both ends. The '66+ style has a hose barb on the carburetor end. In many cases it will be necessary to shorten the carb end of the line and re-flare the line. Avoid any carburetor feed lines with a hose barb ONLY connection. While it MIGHT be possible to cut off the barb and use a compression fitting in its place, in most cases the line is too short to get a tube nut and ferrule on it afterward. It also precludes using an inline filter without ANOTHER adapter to go from a compression fitting to a -AN fitting to the filter and back again. The fewer joints and adapters, the better. Also, I recommend using the '65-style fuel pump with integral canister filter when possible. The filter element is HUGE and effective, easy to change without having to undo lines and fittings at the carburetor and eliminates an extra connection.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My recommendation for a hard-line set-up from pump to carburetor is as follows:

With the Edelbrock/Carter AVS carburetor using a banjo fitting use the Edelbrock 8131 when using a '66-style fuel pump or the 81263 when using a '65-style fuel pump with integral canister filter. Use a -6AN to 5/16IVF (inverted flare female) adapter to connect the line to a standard "65-style" "pump-to-carb" hard line.

When using an Autolite 2100/2150/4100/4300/4350 use a WIX33081 fuel filter when using a '66-style fuel pump and a '65-style hard line. The standard '65-style fuel pump with integral canister filter and '65-style hard line uses no rubber adapter hose.

When using a Holley or Summit carburetor, use the GM-style bronze or paper fuel inlet filters that go under the carburetor inlet adapters. Depending on which type (single or dual-feed) and brand (Holley, Mr. Gasket, Spectra, sum-ting-wong) inlet line you are using will determine what type of adapter you might need to connect to the '65+ style" OE hard line. An inlet line with a 1/2-20 inverted flare would be preferred as it would match the 5/16" hard line... otherwise an adapter to 1/2-20 aka 5/16IVF (inverted flare female) would be required.

Note that in all cases, the '65-style hard line is used as it has inverted flare fittings on both ends. The '66+ style has a hose barb on the carburetor end. In many cases it will be necessary to shorten the carb end of the line and re-flare the line. Avoid any carburetor feed lines with a hose barb ONLY connection. While it MIGHT be possible to cut off the barb and use a compression fitting in its place, in most cases the line is too short to get a tube nut and ferrule on it afterward. It also precludes using an inline filter without ANOTHER adapter to go from a compression fitting to a -AN fitting to the filter and back again. The fewer joints and adapters, the better. Also, I recommend using the '65-style fuel pump with integral canister filter when possible. The filter element is HUGE and effective, easy to change without having to undo lines and fittings at the carburetor and eliminates an extra connection.
Ok, I see I do actually already have a fuel filter since I have the '65 style pump with the integral canister filter. I think then that I will skip the filter up at the carb. It does seem much easier to replace the filter down at the fuel pump. I found a prebent hardline for my '65... but I am a little confused on the '6AN to 5/16 IVF female adapter. I understand the reason for one... but want to make sure I'm selecting the correct piece. Is it this?
Earl's Performance Tube Adapter Fittings AT165056ERL

Thanks for all of the details on this bart! I think I would have had to do multiple orders (after finding I was missing adapters) without some of the extra info you provided.
Rob

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well... I’m 0 for 2 on getting the right adapter. I’ve searched quite a lot and can’t find a -6AN to 5/16” inverted flare (1/2-20??) adapter. I’m really surprised it is this hard to find... I’m starting to think the world wants me to just go rubber hose and barb connectors. Any suggestions on where to look??

Thanks!
Rob

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well... I’m 0 for 2 on getting the right adapter. I’ve searched quite a lot and can’t find a -6AN to 5/16” inverted flare (1/2-20??) adapter. I’m really surprised it is this hard to find... I’m starting to think the world wants me to just go rubber hose and barb connectors. Any suggestions on where to look??

Thanks!
Rob
Hi Rob, I feel your pain - I was hoping when this thread went quiet that it meant you had had success 🙁 - I spent a chunk of time looking at the local Advance Auto selection of fittings and generic steel lines ( the manager got tired of me trying to describe what I was trying to do and just let me back to their storage area ). I also found a local modified stock car racing supplier who had a good selection in stock. Definitely easier than online order, wait for shipping, groan, try again- but I still made 3-4 trips before I got it right. I ended up with 1/2”-20 line which fit the Edelbrock line perfectly and got the adapter for the end down at the fuel pump ( Carter rebuildable M60454 ). Good luck, Mike

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Rob, I feel your pain - I was hoping when this thread went quiet that it meant you had had success 🙁 - I spent a chunk of time looking at the local Advance Auto selection of fittings and generic steel lines ( the manager got tired of me trying to describe what I was trying to do and just let me back to their storage area ). I also found a local modified stock car racing supplier who had a good selection in stock. Definitely easier than online order, wait for shipping, groan, try again- but I still made 3-4 trips before I got it right. I ended up with 1/2”-20 line which fit the Edelbrock line perfectly and got the adapter for the end down at the fuel pump ( Carter rebuildable M60454 ). Good luck, Mike
Thanks for the reply Mike! Did you use an adapter like this to go from the fuel line (fuel pump to carb prebent hardline) to the Edelbrock feed line?

Part of what is confusing me is whether my fuel line is 5/16" or 1/2-20"... the packaging/summit webpage don't have details... but the fuel pump to carb hardline fits into this adapter perfectly:

Thanks!
Rob

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the reply Mike! Did you use an adapter like this to go from the fuel line (fuel pump to carb prebent hardline) to the Edelbrock feed line?

Part of what is confusing me is whether my fuel line is 5/16" or 1/2-20"... the packaging/summit webpage don't have details... but the fuel pump to carb hardline fits into this adapter perfectly:

Thanks!
Rob
I went back thru my receipts and looks like I used this adapter up top to go from the Edelbrock in line filter To my homemade 3/8” steel hardline - Russell 639200 - Russell Aluminum Fuel Line Adapters 639200
I used a mini pipe cutter to remove the flare and nut from the steel line and made the attachment with the compression ring included in the Russell part.

A search on Summit’s site give me 3 options that would seem to match your dimensions Please confirm them and don’t just blindly order what I’m suggesting*
Your banjo tube lists a -6AN male inlet. This requires a -6AN female to mate to. Your hardline is listed as 5/16” tube. This requires a 5/16” tube compression type fitting - which requires you to cut off the flare and nut on your hard line at the top (carburetor) end. **** Be careful you leave the correct amount of length to reach the adaptor*****

no image for the last one, so........? But correct description.

I’m not sure what the attachment is like on your fuel pump - so I can’t confirm what you will need to do at that end. If you have questions there, including pictures helps eliminate confusion. Keep plugging, you’ll get there 👍

Mike

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So... I have the earls adapter and it works well from what I can tell. Thank you very much for the recommendation @brex68coupe! The hardline I ordered does roughly fit... but it isn’t at quite the right angle to attach to the fuel pump. After much screwing around trying to get it to fit I eventually bent the line enough that it is now scrap. Does anyone have a particular line that they highly recommend? I tried this one and will probably order it again in a day and just hope that the next one fits better.

I have to admit that I really want to go hardline both because of the lower long term maintenance (lower chance at leaks) and also because I really like how it looks. I’m just frustrated at how hard it is to route since I have power steering and an ac compressor.

Thanks!
Rob

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I almost decided to put the hardline stuff on the shelf and go with a rubber line for the summer... but I went back to it today and finally finished it up! Somehow this took about 10 hours with how hard it was to get the line down through the power steering bracket and aligned with the fuel pump. I want to clean things up a little bit more... especially so the hard line is routed more neatly up top near the heater hose.

I really like the banjo setup. Very clean. The -6an to 5/16 hardline Earls adapter (part numberAT165056ERL) worked out perfectly for adapting the hard line to the -6an that the Edelbrock line expects to see.

Here is a full part list for anyone trying to do this again in the future:
Edelbrock single feed carb line. Edelbrock part # 8131
Right Stuff Detailing Fuel Pump to Carb Line. Right Stuff part #ZPC6402
Earls -6an to 5/16 adapterEarl's part #AT165056ERL

You will also need a tube cutter to cut off the nut up top. No flaring tool needed as the Earl's adapter screws right onto the line and will thread straight into the Edelbrock single feed carb line.

I did have to remove the fuel pump to get the fuel line down... that was a major pain. I also wasn't sure whether the line was supposed to route in front of or behind the fuel pump... I put it on the front (closest to the radiator). It did take some manual bending to get the hard line to fit.

I especially want to thank Bart for the part recommendations and Mike for reminding me that the Earl adapter was the correct one needed. Thanks everyone!
Rob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts