Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one have pictures of fuel line routing on a car with subframe connectors. I put some Tin Man Subframe connectors on and now I can not use the stock fuel line route.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
That is interesting for I will be istalling SFC on Shag one of these days so I need to look into this. Where is the interference?

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Yes, you are correct this is a problem.

When I had my subframe connectors installed they ran them below the fuel line but if I ever need to replace it I will have to run it differently.

http://home.comcast.net/~gtscode/gtscode/maier5.JPG

See this post http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/showtopic.php?tid/1467651/post/1716019

I think you can change a couple of bends or try to find the fuel line that run down the trans tunnel.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
The fuel line will fit, but not the large metal cover. You have to modify the cover and you might have to slightly notch the SFC.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
The NPD catalog specifies that early 67 lines run down the tunnel I would be interested in seeing what that looks like.

Dusty is right, we modified the fuel gaurd but did not need to notch the fuel line.

The biggest problem is getting it in there and running it in that tight of a space.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Notching the SFC's not fuel line. Justin I knew you encountered this issue but I wasn't sure if the 67 and 68 were routed the same.

Pete, since your SFC's are installed, even if it was notched being one very long piece I don't see how you could fish it through the notch and into place. Sounds like you will need to do some custom routing.

I like going along the tunnel idea. Similar to the 65 and 66.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Yes notch the subframe connector not the fuel line, I would think that would not work out. ;)

As Craig said I don't see how you could route it through that small of an opening.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the pictures and responses guys. I know the thick metal cover will not fit without some type of modification becaause mine are square shaped tubular, but I'm not sure if I could even squeeze the line between the connectors and the floor. The Tin Man connectors are really close to the floor pans. I will probably opt for the tunnel route. I really don't want to notch the subframes. I believe that would weaken them and they were put there for the opposite reason.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
I don't think notching the sfc's was a serious suggestion unless when fabbing the sfc's you notched it and then installed a reinforcement plate. At least you don't have to think about that for it's already installed. Just re-route the line down the tunnel. To me, it is a lot cleaning looking having the fuel line hidden more.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
By "notching" the squart tube sub frames I refer to the process of cutting a half moon shape out of the offending area of the SFC. It should only require a cut through the corner of the square tube. Then fit a half round piece of steel pipe large enough to easily pass the fuel line through the SFC at the corner where it is near the floor. Then weld the steel tube into the SFC and ground smooth.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dusty, That sounds like a perfect solution that would work but mine are already installed and it would involve a ton of work. It would be the answer for future installers.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I have the TCP SFC's in my car and there is a plate right there that I plan to drill a hole through and either use a bulkhead fitting to go through or a rubber grommet with a rubber hose passing through.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I have the square tube SFC's on mine and I tried the 68 fuel line and it just wouldn't work and I ruined it trying. I talked to the owner of Fine Lines and he suggested I try I think it was a 69 fuel line if I remember correctly. It fit with some minor adjustment. It's been awhile since I bought it so I'm not positive it was for a 69 but I think it was. It routed a little differently than the 68. You might give them a call to see if I'm right.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts