Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replumb the underhood fuel lines, and I'm stuck between alternatives. I would like to improve on the factory parts if possible, but maintain a relatively stock look with maximum fuel safety.

I'm running the stock fuel line into the engine compartment, so it starts with a 3/8 line barb. (I'd just as soon not put a flared fitting on there, as I'd have to do it in place.) There's now a fender-mounted fuel filter with 3/8 NPT native ports. My current plan is to put a simple barb in the inlet and run a curl of good 3/8 line from it to the incoming fuel line.

From the filter to the fuel pump (Edelbrock - with two more 3/8 NPT ports) I want to run a stainless braided line with AN fittings.

From the pump to the carb (Speed Demon 650, with a Barry Grant line kit ending in an AN male fitting) is where I am uncertain. I could fab another stainless AN line, but I don't know if I like having a long flexible line run up and around the front of the engine. Should I fab a hardline to a compression fitting on the pump, and route it up factory-style to a short SS-AN coupler line or even a female AN fitting on the hardline?

Short version: should I run a hardline up around the front of the engine, or will a flexible line with some keepers be a better choice?

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
stainless flex-line (the good stuff) is pretty much just as safe as a hardline.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,639 Posts
I had some minor problems with vapor lock on SWMBO's 86 some time ago. The OEM hard line was cobbled due to a non-stock fuel pump, intake, and carb (OK, and a non-stock engine too). I chucked that line and ran good stainless braid. Vapor lock was cured and it's worked fine for 4 years. Note, route the hose carefully. The stainless is tough enough that it wore a spot on the aluminum P/S bracket until I finally noticed it was chafing. The hose still looks just fine though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts