Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I’ve rebuilt my 66 coupes fuel lines out of copper 5/16, but when I topped the tank up and excitedly turned the key I got nothing. So I pulled the line out of the filter to check if fuel was coming through which it isn’t, but I am getting pressure through the line. Is this a dodgy fuel pump problem or if not are there any suggestions?

·
Registered
35,975 Posts
Well, fuel pumps don't do air very well. Have you filled the carburetor with fuel? A running engine will move more fuel in a couple seconds than the starter can do before the battery dies.

If you have access to an electric fuel pump, put it in the line between the fuel pump and fender apron. that'll prime the whole system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, fuel pumps don't do air very well. Have you filled the carburetor with fuel? A running engine will move more fuel in a couple seconds than the starter can do before the battery dies.

If you have access to an electric fuel pump, put it in the line between the fuel pump and fender apron. that'll prime the whole system.
Have you got any recommendations and suggestions for the electric fuel pump?

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Fill squeeze bottle with fuel. Open fuel line, pour fuel in. Fill carb through vent holes, turn key and smile.

Mark

·
Registered
35,975 Posts
What Silverblue suggests would be my first choice. Unless you already have one lying around, you'll probably spend $50 for one. Lotta money for a one-time job.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
What Silverblue suggests would be my first choice. Unless you already have one lying around, you'll probably spend $50 for one. Lotta money for a one-time job.
An empty watter wetter bottle is what I use

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts