Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently added a fuel pressure gage just before the carb in order to troubleshoot some fuel issues I have. I'm pretty sure I've solved the vapor lock problem now but noticed that when the engine is cold the pressure is 6-7psi but after a drive it has dropped to 2-3psi. Is my pump crapping out or what?
Thanks,
Micah

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
read what the pressure is after you warm-up the engine then start it back up. if it is the same remove the gas cap and try again. if that is not it, inspect all the rubber connections in the fuel line.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I thought that was normal. I have my engine run around 3-4psi but then when the bowls are completely filled(to the set point) it goes around 6.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
You likely have hot fuel on the verge of vapor lock. Does the fuel line run down the driveshaft tunnel as in the 65's ? It's a poor location that heats the fuel mercilessly...

I'm in the process of moving the fuel line in my 65 to just inside the rocker panel drip rail to get the fuel a little cooler - Mine does the same thing as yours right now.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I have just the opposite problem with mine. When cool it all works great but the longer I run it the higher the fuel pressure goes and I believe it's due to fuel in the lines getting overheated as indicated by another post.

So what is the solution? Insulating the fuel line from the tank forward. Which I think is what I am going to try very soon.

Doc

1 - 5 of 5 Posts