Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much work and problem-solving, I was able to get my 200, I-6 started for the first time after sitting 2 years. Once I get it started, it idles OK and will re-start without a problem. BUT, the next day I have to put some gas in the carb to get it started again. Then same thing - runs and starts OK, until the next day.
Any suggestions on what is causing this or what I can check on first?
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
check your choke operation - at start up depress acel pedal all way to floor once. choke plate in carb should end up about 1/2 closed. then depress acel pedal 1/2 to floor and note choke plate go to almost closed and put ign switch to START. engine should turn over and run. this is procedure called out in "OWNER"S" manual and differs from 8 cyl cars regarding acel operation. PM me if questions.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Sounds like all of the gas is leaking out of the carb overnight. Drive the car and then let it sit for about an hour. Look down into the carb and see if it is leaking gas into the intake. If so you need a rebuild or a new carb.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.