Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

On my 66 coupe, I noticed the fuel pump is dripping only when the car is running.
Do I need a new fuel pump? Can't really see where else it could be coming from since its tight in there to see. Also, where can I pick up a nice quality repop fuel pump?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Fuel Pump

From your description it seems like it may be leaking from the air bleed hole which would require a replacement unles you know how to rebuild it. I find that buying replacement parts from a NAPA parts store or from a Ford dealer which can get rebuilt Motorcraft parts as the way to go for good quality parts with a 12 month warranty.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Please

Hey R66PONY,

If you happen to have the ORIGINAL OEM pump that came on your car, I WILL BUY YOU a brand new Carter pump and trade even for it.

Does it say CARbureTER on the side and does it have a button on the top like this?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
That's what I was gett'n at. I ccan buy 66Pony a new Carter for $40. If he'll give me his core, then Fred can rebuild it for me for $250 and I'll only have $290 in it instead of $500.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
You can get either a new pump or send yours in for rebuild at a fraction of that price to:
Airtex Products
407 W. Main St.
Fairfield, Il 62837
618-842-2111
800-880-3056
Tech Support 800-424-7839

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
fuel pump

If you're not worried about originality, we always used the 65 type for all SBF's, as the filter can was a lot better than the 66 style. BTW- what are the 65 types worth with the top hat? Got a bunch of them around.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Hi-Po pumps

If I remember correctly, the hi-po pumps have an X on them. That also applies to big block pumps. Real high $$$ on those. The top hat ones are rare, but not too hard to fund. We used to go thru the parts house boxes and find them rebuilt, as they were just cores they took in.

·
Registered
788 Posts
If you're not worried about originality, we always used the 65 type for all SBF's, as the filter can was a lot better than the 66 style.
Beat me to it. My 66 has a 65 pump on it. Gotta love that big fuel filter build right in.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys,

Sorry for the delay in replying to my topic. Thanks for everyone's input. Problem is, I stored my car for the winter and haven't gotten in there to get another look or a photo of the fuel pump.
As soon as I do, I'll post the results. Thanks for the advice and Napa tip.
Talk to you soon....

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ok, finally got in there and got a photo of my fuel pump ~ BLOODY HELL I need an oil pan gasket too! Geez!

Anyway, here's a pic of my leaking fuel pump. Should I go with a Napa replacement?

BTW ~ what oil pan gasket do you recommend and where to buy it? THANKS!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, finally got in there and got a photo of my fuel pump ~ BLOODY HELL I need an oil pan gasket too! Geez!

Anyway, here's a pic of my leaking fuel pump. Should I go with a Napa replacement?

BTW ~ what oil pan gasket do you recommend and where to buy it? THANKS!

Anyone have any advice on a decent fuel pump replacement? Thinkin of buying one at Napa but not sure.

Also, can anyone recommend a particular oil pan filter? Where to buy? Thanks :)

·
Registered
571 Posts
I just picked one up at autozone for mine. Unless it's a special pump, like a hi-po, Sbf pumps are a dime a dozen. I worked in auto parts for years, and all their parts are pretty much the same. Unless you're doing a concourse resto, it doesn't really matter where you get it from.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If I remember correctly, the hi-po pumps have an X on them. That also applies to big block pumps. Real high $$$ on those. The top hat ones are rare, but not too hard to fund. We used to go thru the parts house boxes and find them rebuilt, as they were just cores they took in.
Where would that "X" be located? The pump that came with a 289 I bought last fall has the CARbureTER pump with the canister filter.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
And I'll jump in to answer your oil pan question. Buy a FELPRO gasket. It is worth every penny and it even comes with cool little pins to hold it up when you install it. You'll need to purchase some sealant for the corners. I installed the felpro on my oil and tranny pan and don't have any leaks. I always had leaks with the cork gaskets.

·
Registered
388 Posts
You bet, if it's the original one. That says CARbureTER.
I think I have an original one I have taken a few quick pics with my phone, so they arnt clear if its original I will take better pics with my camera, and whats the best way to clean it up?

Please let me know what you think

1 - 20 of 23 Posts