Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to install my pump, filter, and all but one of the fuel lines this weekend. The missing line would have been installed had I not forgotten to pickup up a 5/16 compression to 1/4 F NPT fitting.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/597572/7

Scroll to the bottom of the page for these photos.

I think the drain plug on the tank makes a fine return port. I was able to bend a line that fit in the space between the tank and the folded lip of the trunk floor. This keeps it up high and out of the way. I was able to shape it along the tank edge pretty well, it is closer that it appears in the photos.

The fuel filter is from a Windstar, and so is the bracket, I did cut off a section so I could mount it closer to the flange of the tank.

I used the plastic line and ran it along the inside of the frame rail, the first place I used a bracket was at the upper tailpipe hanger bolt on the right frame rail. I drilled thru the reinforcement above the rear axle, placed some grommets in the holes, fished a wire thru and then guided the line thru. I did the same thing at the transmission crossmemeber. At the base of the firewall I used an adapter and connected 6AN line to the right fuel rail.

I'll tackle the wiring during the week sometime, the MassFlo harness has a wire for the pump, I just need to get it back to the pump, hopefully without pulling the interior all apart.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Very nice looking job.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Nice work!

I'm about to be doing something VERY similar, one question, I was unable to tell from your pictures but when setting up my fuel system I believe the routing will be:
1.) Fuel tank with
2.) Original sending unit connected to
3.) Rubber non-efi line to fuel pump
4.) EFI fuel line to
5.) EFI fuel filter
6.) EFI Nylon (stock fox body line) to fuel rail

Or do I need a filter before the pump or both? Thanks :highfive:

·
Registered
632 Posts
Also I just saw in another post you were going to try and source the Ford EFI duckbil fittings from NAPA - did that work out? Is that where you got them? If so do you have a part number for the ones you used? I know RMP carries all these fittings, just was checking to make sure I'm not paying 2 or 3 times what they cost for the same stuff...

Sorry for all the questions, I think your setup looks great though!

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice work!

I'm about to be doing something VERY similar, one question, I was unable to tell from your pictures but when setting up my fuel system I believe the routing will be:
1.) Fuel tank with
2.) Original sending unit connected to
3.) Rubber non-efi line to fuel pump
4.) EFI fuel line to
5.) EFI fuel filter
6.) EFI Nylon (stock fox body line) to fuel rail

Or do I need a filter before the pump or both? Thanks :highfive:
I put mine together the same way you describe, I have no filter before the pump. Non-EFI rubber fuel line from original sender to pump. The pump came from here, the largest external one he has, http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/ I also ordered fitting and the mounting straps with the pump.

The filter and the bracket come from a Ford Windstar, I cut a section off the bracket to I would not have to drill new holes, I just used one that hold the gas tank in place. Removed the screw, drilled the hole to 1/4, then used bolts instead of the screws.

For the plastic line connectors I used these, http://fuelsender.com/ I called them up and they refereed me to a local dealer. The release by pushing in the orange tab visible in the pictures. I used four straight fittings, they are packed two to a package. I originally purchased some fittings from NAPA, but could not use them. I used an adapter to go from the duckbill connectors to 6AN, the NAPA fittings were too deep and would not lock on the adapter or the fitting for the outlet of the fuel pump. I purchased a 25' roll of the plastic line from McMasterCarr, I will PM you with the part number late this afternoon.

My fuel rails had 3/8 NPT threads, so I used a 3/8 to 6AN adapter fitting, not the snap style fittings used on an OE system.

You can see how I connected the return line on the CarDomain page. The original supply line on my car is a new stainless steel line, I saw no need to tear it out and use something else. I cut it of just before it crosses under the front frame rail and connected the return there.

If you need more info let me know, good luck, Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts