Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've taken my fuel pump off 4 times already because the seal keeps leaking engine oil.

The last time i used permatex sealer #1 it claimed to be oil and fuel resistant however when i took the pump out it looked like the sealant was attacked by the engine oil. the sealant also flaked off.

I've now cut out yet another rubber/paper gasket to use, what sealant do you recommend i try?

·
Registered
999 Posts
I normally put a little RTV on my fingers and smear it around both sides of the gasket. It leaves just a light coating and seems to work good. I always use Fel-Pro gaskets.

Not sure if this is the best way, but it has always worked for me.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yup checked for cracks, the stupid thing just keeps weeping and driving me nuts i don't want to load the area up with sealant, but its really getting on my nerves.

I'm running out to get a can of high tack.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I use Indian Head gasket shellac for infrequently disassembled gaskets (it's made by Permatex and sold at parts stores next to all the RTVs, etc).

Apply thin coat to each side of the paper gasket, let it dry (15+ minutes) and assemble. I've never had one leak, which is more than I can say for years of farting around with different RTVs. (To be fair, it wasn't the RTVs fault probably...)

It sealed the fuel pump the one time I installed one, but that's hardly statistically significant. :)

·
Premium Member
13,094 Posts
try the permatex / napa aviation form a gasket part # 765-1210. It comes in a plastic tub with an applicator brush. It doe seem like a crack, or some sort of porous casting problem.

Z. Ray

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok well i used the high tack from perm, i coated everything and let it setup for a few minutes then assembled the pump onto the engine, i'll let it setup for 24 hours then see if its still leaking.

thanks guys.

·
Registered
29 Posts
ok well i used the high tack from perm, i coated everything and let it setup for a few minutes then assembled the pump onto the engine, i'll let it setup for 24 hours then see if its still leaking.

thanks guys.
Didn't see any followup posts on this subject. Did the high tack solve the problem?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts