Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK the story
Went for a drive the other day and after gunning it a few times the car began to backfire. I managed to get to a friends house and the backfiring got worse. After letting the car idle for a few minutes we took it for a drive around the block and after the third turn I could not get any gas to flow from the pump. So obveouse move, new fuel pump.

Got a Holly 60 GPH fuel pump from Summet Racing and installed it tonight. Car fired up with little issues although sounded funny. I went for a drive around the block and there was alot of hesitation. Especially when I tromped on the car. Seemed to act like it was either flooding or not getting enough gas.

So I pull into the garage and there is a loud scratching sound comming from the pump area, and the car is really having issues maintaining an idle speed. But the fuel filter is full of gas.

Where I sit now..

I pulled the pump out and reinserted it making sure the handle part was pointed down into the engine to be sure (I hope) to get it under the crank. I also turned the car back on and the scratching sound was gone, there is the sound of a faint knocking though in the pump area, and the engine still sounds like it is struggling to maintain an idle.

Suggestions? Could it be I just need to readjust the carb for the new pump? And what about the knocking sound. I am afraid to run the car as I am not in the mood to destroy this new part. Please advise.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Could the carb be flooding out....thus the rough idle and a hesitation at acceleration.
Check your plugs ?
Float level ?
Someone will have the answer.
Maybe you had 2 problems happen, the fuel pump calved and something wrong with carb.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
It almost sounds like the timing chain jumped a tooth with the back firing and having a hard time maintaining idle.
The knocking sound in front could be something to do with the fuel pump eccentric. How many miles is on the engine?

Hope it's not a bad timing chain,

Dean T

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
If the chain is loose, or maybe the eccentric on the can loosened up and is intermittent on hitting the pump plunger.

·
7,010 Posts
The backfiring issue doesn't sound like "fuel pump" to me.

If your carb has a powervalve, I'd suspect you blew it.

Phil

·
Registered
633 Posts
As I was reading your post, it almost sounded like the classic clogged fuel filter, but then you said it was full of fuel. What kind of filter? And have you taken the fuel line off (after the filter to see how it's pumping and if your getting gas into the carb?) Just a shot in the dark!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for the delay in replying to everyone.

The fuel filer is about a month old. Its really some cheep one I got at Autozone that looked good. I don't think thats it though.
The Carb is an Edelbrock 1604. I reset the floats and rebuild the top half 3 or 4 months ago. I did have an issue when it died. We tried to restart it with starter fluid and the carb backfired and caught on fire. We could not blow it out so I grabbed the only thing I could think of. A fire extiquisher. Its the power one. Is it possible it has gotten in and is chocking the card a bit? I didn't spay much on there. Just enough to stop the flames.

Could it be the jets? This new Holly is 60 GPH and has more pressure than the old one did.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts