Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm trying to resurrect a 65 289 with a 2 barrel carb. I suspect that it's starving for fuel. I replaced the fuel filter and have tried putting my finger over the inlet for the fuel pump while my son cranks over the engine and I don't really feel anything. I would expect that it would suck my finger to the fuel pump inlet pretty hard. I'm thinking that I need a new fuel pump?

Thanks

·
Registered
34,730 Posts
Not necessarily. They work better when wet. Try connecting the pump to a small fuel tank set on the fender, so gravity fills the pump, and try again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not necessarily. They work better when wet. Try connecting the pump to a small fuel tank set on the fender, so gravity fills the pump, and try again.
I did that and it worked even with the small gas tank set very low. If the fuel line back to the tank was completely unobstructed and you had a full tank of gas would you get gas trickling out the fuel line if you disconnected the rubber line where it connected to the hard line on the fender? It's hard to visualize how the pump wouldn't starve for fuel otherwise. I also have a drip on my 2100 carbureter when it's running.. It looks like it's probably from a cover that's below the accelerator pump. Anyone know what that is?

·
Registered
252 Posts
"It looks like it's probably from a cover that's below the accelerator pump. Anyone know what that is? "
It's the power valve.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Check the little rubber hose where the steel line attaches to the tank for cracks. If the level in the tank is below the rubber hose the pump will suck air through the cracks. I would get rid of the pump anyway. If that diagram is not bad its probably about to be.

You can also try disconnecting the rubber hose from the pump and sticking it into a large container. Then stick an air nozzle in the tank's filler neck with a rag around it to make a seal. Then give it a little burst of air and the fuel should come pouring out of the hose. Not too much air just a little, you don't want to damage the tank. I've seen old fuel harden in a steel line to the point that 100 psi would not unplug it and I had to replace the steel line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts