Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I'm giving up on mechanical fuel pumps. No matter how many times I try, it won't work.

SO

I was looking at this:
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...925239+4294839053+4294836965+115&autoview=sku

I've got a stock 351W 2V, nothing special. Will this be enough to handle the fuel needs of my engine, and will I need anything else to go with it? Open to suggestions for other products, as well.

Thanks,
WZ

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
What do mean "it won't work".

I have a stock fuel pump on my 347. Even at 6200 rpm I haven't run out of fuel yet.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I think giving up on mechanical pumps is a bit premature, they're extremely dependable. You're going to spend a lot more money and labor on putting in an electric pump than on just doing it right with a mechanical pump.

To answer your question, yes, I suppose it would work but you're going to have to run some wires and fab some kind of bracket so the pump isn't just hanging there. But it does provide the correct fuel pressure. But like I said, I would still go mechanical.

Whatever troubles you're having with mechanical, we can help.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
The mechanical pump is very simple..The offset eccentric bolted to the camshaft works the arm of the pump up and down..If the pump does not work the pump is faulty or there is a problem with the eccentric?

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Give up? Why?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Because it's so friggin hard to get to lol. Eh, it works now, I had to put some gasoline on top of the carb to get her goin, but she goes strong. Now I gotta fix the timing.

And I understand the worry about the electric pump, it seems like it would go out long before the mechanical. I was just frustrated last night lol.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Understand the frustration with the cars sometimes. It happens even to the best of them. But.....I would strongly advise against the electric pump only route. Very easy to short a wire and get stranded along the expressway,....while you're trying to impress your new best girl cruising around the town,.....in the "wheels" that you just got running after a very long time,....only to have the police roll up behind you with the lights flashing all over the place,....and everybody driving by thinks you musta done something really stupid,.....and to have that new best girl slump down in the seat so far to keep from being embarrased she looks like she became the new floor mat,....and then have to endure the tow truck operator on the way to taking the car to your house to fix it while he's explaining he could do a better job at his shop and it would only cost you $$$$$$ and getting into an argument doing it,....while that new best girl is sitting in between two people about to get into a fist fight,...only to realize that when the car is finally at your house and the tow truck driver is long gone, you have no way to get that new best girl home. Go ahead. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
showstang said:
Understand the frustration with the cars sometimes. It happens even to the best of them. But.....I would strongly advise against the electric pump only route. Very easy to short a wire and get stranded along the expressway,....while you're trying to impress your new best girl cruising around the town,.....in the "wheels" that you just got running after a very long time,....only to have the police roll up behind you with the lights flashing all over the place,....and everybody driving by thinks you musta done something really stupid,.....and to have that new best girl slump down in the seat so far to keep from being embarrased she looks like she became the new floor mat,....and then have to endure the tow truck operator on the way to taking the car to your house to fix it while he's explaining he could do a better job at his shop and it would only cost you $$$$$$ and getting into an argument doing it,....while that new best girl is sitting in between two people about to get into a fist fight,...only to realize that when the car is finally at your house and the tow truck driver is long gone, you have no way to get that new best girl home. Go ahead. Ask me how I know.
That touched my heart.

Yeah, I'm sticking with what works now lol. I'd rather not take the chance. That must have been a really good looking new floormat though :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts