Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 65 mustang and I now have a fuel leak I believe coming from a fitting going to the fuel pump. I apologize for not knowing the correct terms. If I tighten the bolt it starts pissing out fuel...If I loosen it then it drips but I can't get it to stop. I am trying to do this by myself but am curious if it is just a matter of trying to loosen or tighten until it stops a little at a time or if this is over my head.

Thanks in advance.
Kelly

I sumbmitted a pic of the bolt thing that is leaking...:)

Attachments

·
Registered
863 Posts
I would loosen and remove #2...tightened #1 until snug, then re install #2 until snug...If that doesnt stop the leak, I would remove all three and inspect closely for cracks, then replace as needed, and also replace that rubber hose and clamp.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks... I appreciate you putting this in a simple diagram for me..One question, Is it possible to overtighten?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Sure its possible, but you shouldnt need to really crank that hard on it, I would just tighten until it feels nice and snug, if you have a line wrench that would be best, but a regular open end wrench will work, and be sure to put a back up wrench on #1 when you are tightening #2

·
Registered
739 Posts
Is it my bad eyes, a shadow, or is there a crack in the fuel pump where #1 in the pic is screwed in? If that's a crack, looks like it was overtightened and cracked. If that's a crack, there may be a new fuel pump in your future.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Is it my bad eyes, a shadow, or is there a crack in the fuel pump where #1 in the pic is screwed in? If that's a crack, looks like it was overtightened and cracked. If that's a crack, there may be a new fuel pump in your future.
You may be right !, If thats a crack, Then that fuel pump is done.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
are you looking at that black v notched out piece. I never noticed that. I guess this may be over my head then. :(

·
Registered
863 Posts
Just inspect that area close and see if thats cracked...theres no reason its over your head, If you have the mechanical ability to remove and replace those three fittings, then you are only 2 bolts away from replacing the entire pump.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts