Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Fuel Safe Filler Neck - NOT!

9K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  steve69stang 
#1 ·
I purchased the 22 gallon Fuel safe racing cell for our Boss 302 project, along with the stock location filler neck supplied by Fuel Safe. The filler neck costs $188, and here's how it fits:
http://www.dvsrestorations.com/jpeg/fuelsafe1.jpg
http://www.dvsrestorations.com/jpeg/fuelsafe2.jpg
http://www.dvsrestorations.com/jpeg/fuelsafe3.jpg

The tube misses by 2 inches, and the vent hose won't attach to the barb because it hits the tailight support. Probably works great in a 65!

When I contacted Fuel Safe, I told them I had a 70 Boss 302 with their products installed, sent these pictures, and here was their response:

(name deleted)forwarded me your e-mail about your Boss 302, however most of my expertise is with 1960- 1969 Mustangs.

I would send your fill neck back so we can verify that you were sent the correct fill neck.

I do have one question, what size tank did the car originally come with? The angle of the fill will change from the 16 gallon to the 22 gallon tank. But looking at your photo I think we can probably send you a different fill neck that will work.

This will give me an opportunity for me to research tank and fill neck fit in early 70’s Mustangs, depending on how hard it is to find a 1970 Boss 302. I’ll let you know what I come up with (I think I know where one is).

It was, of course, the correct filler for a 70. It just didn't fit.

After a couple more e-mails, I determined that they don't know a 70 Mustang has a 22 gallon tank, and that there is no way on the face of the earth their product had ever been tested. It went back.

We fabricated our own using two original filler necks and a weld in bung. Not as sexy, but better than flexible hose

http://www.dvsrestorations.com/jpeg/new filler.jpg

I sent this image to them and let them know their products don't work, and he just said Thanks! Ohhhh-kay....... :loco:

I hope their fuel cells are not designed by the same guy who makes the filler necks.

Dave

See less See more
#3 ·
What do you need the bung for? Are you plannign on using that as the efi return? I have mine in the drain on the bottom, but someone previously brought up the weight of the fuel. Now I'm not sure if it will pose a problem.

But if I do what you're doing, I'm not sure how to route the fuel inside the trunk?

#4 ·
JohnnyK said:
What do you need the bung for? Are you plannign on using that as the efi return? I have mine in the drain on the bottom, but someone previously brought up the weight of the fuel. Now I'm not sure if it will pose a problem.

But if I do what you're doing, I'm not sure how to route the fuel inside the trunk?
The bung is for a breather tube for the fuel cell. The fuel cell has a bladder, so the breather tube allows the bladder to equalize the pressure inside the fuel cell.

As for using a similar type set up for an EFI return, I did. I brought the fuel line inside the trunk along side the driver's side rear wheel well, ran the steel braded flex line inside the gas tank recess and returned it into the fuel filler neck.

Tim

#8 ·
Dave-
You should have called me first!!! :p

I had that same experience a couple of years ago and used the same filler neck solution. All they do is take a repro filler neck and weld in that bung for the vent. The only ones that fit right up are 16 gallon cells for 65-68 since the top of the cell is flat like a stock 16 gallon tank. 69-70 or 22 gallon in any year requires filler neck modification.

The next thing you may find is that you don't get adequate venting on a hot day just venting to the filler neck. Stock gas caps don't vent nearly well enough for an EFI fuel system on a hot day. Just plug that bung and run a vent line from the fitting on the cell to the outside. I don't even sell their remote fill kits any more. You just don't need it and you can do better on your own (as you found out). If they made custom necks that actually fit (what you thought you were buying) that would be a different story...

I always put the return fitting on the same front bulkhead as the feed, which they'll do for you at the factory. That way you keep fuel lines out of the trunk.

There's definitely a learning curve with the fuel cells but they're worth it once they're all sorted out.

I'm a Fuel Safe WD so give me a holler next time.

-Pete

#9 ·
The whole point of the e-mail was the fact that a company sells a product, and they didn't even test it before they sold it. Pete - I'll take your advice on the venting - good tip.
There will ALWAYS be conflicts in products in the restomod world (headers and rack steering anyone?), and you can't account for every variable and every combination our little minds will come up with, but this was two prodcuts made by the same company for the exact application, and it didn't even come close to working.

I was going to mount the return AN fitting to the pickup bulkhead. Thanks again for the heads-up.

Dave

#10 ·
mustangsurfer said:
The whole point of the e-mail was the fact that a company sells a product, and they didn't even test it before they sold it. Pete - I'll take your advice on the venting - good tip.
There will ALWAYS be conflicts in products in the restomod world (headers and rack steering anyone?), and you can't account for every variable and every combination our little minds will come up with, but this was two prodcuts made by the same company for the exact application, and it didn't even come close to working.

I was going to mount the return AN fitting to the pickup bulkhead. Thanks again for the heads-up.

Dave
I agree on all counts. Anyone who has busted their knuckles on this stuff has had the same experience. It's especially frustrating when you run up against something like this that is a real time sucker that you know you can't bill the customer for. Six hours to install a filler neck?!?!? :lol: :lol:

#11 ·
Off topic but i was looking through your store and noticed this pic of a fuelsafe fuel cell but what caught my eye was the independant rear suspension. Can you tell me more about it?
I dont see this available at your store.
Rear suspension

#12 ·
steve69stang said:
Off topic but i was looking through your store and noticed this pic of a fuelsafe fuel cell but what caught my eye was the independant rear suspension. Can you tell me more about it?
I dont see this available at your store.
Rear suspension
Well, not totally off topic, since the Cobra IRS guru is Dave (mustangsurfer) from DVS Restorations, who started this very thread.

I have used his installation kits a number of times with zero issues.

His website has all the info:

http://www.dvsrestorations.com/irs.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.