Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to fill from the trunk but have the outlets in the stock location. Those of you with this model, please tell me if the outlet is a plate that can be drilled for a fuel return required for my EFI set up.
Thanks!

·
Registered
16,009 Posts
You mean the outlets from the tank to the pump? If so there are a couple different Fuel Safe models. My outlets are from above near the filler... the same plate houses the filler, the outlet, the breather and if you option for it another hookup for the return line. Best thing to do on price is to order from www.racerpartswholesale.com and best thing to do from a configuration standpoint is to talk to Fuel Safe directly before and after ordering it... and call them while in process so you don't end up with a giant Nascar model the first time around (like I did).

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I have the Fuel Safe cell for a 65/66 Mustang installed. The cells outlet fitting plate is relatively small. I would call Fuel Safe directly and ask them if they can custom just that plate. Also, this outlet is below the cells fill level, so I'm not sure it would be suitable for a return line. Since you have to run a new return line, any reason for not plumbing it into the fill plate itself. Probably easier and cheaper in the long run.

Bob.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats the plan. I wanted to find out if they use a plate where the fule connection is. Did yours use a ford sender? Was the sender located in stock position?
It's OK to return fuel below the level. Just makes a mess if you have to work on it!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I used the Fuel Safe sender for Fords (SUD12 76-6 OHM). Looking in from the trunk opening it is mounted on the top of the cell, upper right (passenger side). The sender requires a constant 5v versus the pulsating 5v that the stock gauge set uses. A few inexpensive Radio Shack bits solves this easily.

I used the 16 gallon Pro-Cell for 65/66 Mustangs (#SA111A-R). They use a very small plate at the fuel sending port. Not much room for good support for a AN 8 fittting. The fill plate is much bigger and can accomadate the filler, vents and returns. If you use the stock cell, shop wisely, you can source much cheaper than houses like MP.

Bob.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some questions for you, plz
Why did you go pro over sportsmen or enduro bladders?
What about bladder life? The pro needs replacement every 10 years?

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I think the cost difference when I purchased was $85 over the Sportsman bladder (5 yr). Since I've owned this car for over 20 years, I figured I'd have it for the next 10. Plus, the Pro bladder is better should I do something stupid (I have hit things hard at the track once or twice over the last thirty years.

Bob.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts