Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone provide a link or post for a step by step installation (and diagnosis) of a fuel sending unit for a 66? My gauge is below E all the time and I think that's the problem. Any suggestions on replacements (repro vs. OEM, etc.)? Thanks.

Kelly

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
If the sender and float are good AND the tank is grounded to the body;

1. With a full tank, the sender's connection (disconnected from the wiring harness) will have 10 ohms resistance between it and ground.

2. With an empty tank, the sender's connection (disconnected from the wiring harness) will have about 80 ohms resistance between it and ground.

I have seen original brass sender floats that have cracked. NPD sells the brass floats.

Many repro senders have nylon floats and some VMF'ers believe these floats go bad quickly.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick reply, I'll check out the resistance readings tomorrow. I assume a multimeter plugging both leads into the fuel sending units two receptacles would do the trick (after disconnecting the wiring running to the gague at the tank)?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts